This weekend marks the unofficial start to Summer! Hooray! The weather’s been a little wonky here in Jersey the past month, but it’s finally warming up to be weather I want to spend all day outside in! We recently got a new umbrella for the table on our deck. It’s massive and shady enough so I can bring my laptop outside and work with no problems of glare or excessive sun. No more excuses! And Hunter has definitely become an outside dog. He loves to hang on the deck during the day, watch the neighbors, and bark at squirrels.
In the evening, it’s become a lovely place to sit outside, talk, enjoy a glass of wine, and most of all – barbecue. A few months ago, my husband’s hours changed at work and now he gets home a couple hours earlier than he used to. It’s nice to have a few more hours in the evening with him. It’s also nice when I don’t have to cook dinner because he’s busy manning the grill.
One of our favorite things to make on the grill are homemade burgers. Nothing beats a juicy, homemade burger! Especially when it’s not only topped with some of your favorite cheese – it’s stuffed with it, too! The idea behind these burgers came from a stuffed blue cheese burger Mario Batali made on The Chew a few years ago. He also topped the burgers with jalapeno poppers. My husband was all about that burger! It was a tad too spicy for me, but I loved having cheese ooze out from the middle of my burger with every bite!
I had ground beef leftover from a pot of sauce I made one morning, so I used the little bit I had left to make myself a blue cheese stuffed burger for lunch. You guys, it was the best burger I had ever made! No lie! My husband totally missed out this time! It had just the right amount of blue cheese inside the burger, as well as on top of it. Instead of topping it with a box of nasty frozen poppers, I sliced up a pickled garden jalapeno that had just enough zing to it without being overly spicy.
- About 1 lb. 80/20 ground beef
- Garlic powder
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Hamburger buns, toasted
- Salt and pepper
- Toppings: lettuce, tomato, onions, sliced jalapenos, etc.
- Heat up a drizzle of olive oil in your cast iron skillet or heat your grill over medium.
- Start forming meat into patties. You'll need two patties per burger.
- Add a little crumbled blue cheese in the middle of one patty and top with another patty. Reform into one big patty.
- Cook thoroughly to your liking.
- Serve burgers open so you can add toppings.
- Top with extra blue cheese and toppings of your choice.
- Caution: the cheese inside the burger will be boiling hot! Let cool a few minutes before scarfing down.
Have I convinced you to start stuffing your burgers with cheese? You won’t be sorry! Come link up your BARBECUE themed DIY projects and recipes with Ashley and me this week + get ready for a whole new month of Maker’s Mix Up with these June themes!