This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support this blog.
My husband and I both love to fish. We both grew up with a fishing pole in our hands. Our families had boats and we spent many weekends on my father’s boat while we were dating. A lot of the stories my family likes to share are those that happened on the boat. Like the time my father tried to prove to my husband that he could catch a fish with a Cheeto and did! Or the time I caught the biggest fish of my life and lost it just as my dad went to get the net.
Hopefully, one of these days, we’ll have our very own boat to spend Summer weekends on and share our own stories about. We both miss being out on the water and I’m sure some of our family members do, too!
All of those fond memories made me want to create, not only something delicious, but something that my husband could make use out of once Valentine’s Day was over. So I bought different bags of gummy candies to fill his tackle box (and have enough left over to refill his tackle box and enjoy some myself since I can’t be trusted around a bag of gummies!).
I decided to use chalkboard paint to create an area where a sweet message could be written on top of the tackle box with chalk markers. The message can easily be erased after the holiday or birthday is over so the box can be used and labeled as storage.
- Plastic tackle box
- Painter’s tape
- Chalkboard paint
- Foam brush
- Chalk or bistro chalk markers
- Gummy candies like gummy worms, sharks, and fish
- Clean and dry the tackle box (it’s been in a dusty store, you know!).
- Once dried, use painter’s tape to create a rectangular section on the top of the tackle box.
- Paint inside the sectioned off area with chalkboard paint. Use one or two coats, making sure to dry each coat in between.
- Use bistro markers to create a cute “hooked on you” or other message on the box.
- Fill each tackle box section with gummy candies and give it to your favorite catch!