This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
I love finding rainbows after a rain storm, just like I’d love to find that pot of gold that’s apparently at the end of them. However, I hate – and I mean hate – the rainbow-everything trend that’s everywhere these past few years. I’m like the giant storm cloud before the rainbow forms. I loved Rainbow Brite as a kid, but as an adult, I’m more like Murky Dismal. I might not live in a Lisa Frank colored world, but I’m totally okay with making my bathtub look like a unicorn just scrubbed up in it. Bath products are my ultimate exception when it comes to the rainbow trend! So in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, I decided to make a rainbow-inspired salt scrub.
One of my top favorite bath products is definitely body scrub. Body scrubs are not only great skin exfoliants, but they leave your skin soft and moisturized. I have bought tons and tons of store bought scrubs over the years, but I love making my own! It’s so easy. You can make them with sugar or salt, but today I’m using Epsom salt. Sea salt also makes a great ingredient for body scrubs (it’s a better alternative for those with sensitive skin). Use them alone or mixed with other salts. It all depends on the amount of exfoliation you want from your scrub!
Epsom salts are often used to relax the body and ease muscles. You can add them to a bath, but since I take more showers than baths, I’m using my Espom salts in this scrub. I mixed the salt with coconut oil. Once the Epsom salt does its job to exfoliate your skin, coconut oil will leave your skin moisturized and soft to the touch! It’s my favorite oil to use in scrubs because a little goes a long way!
I used a Happy essential oil blend to scent my scrub. This oil is a blend of bergamot, grapefruit and ylang ylang from one of my favorite essential oil brands. I diffuse this oil a lot to make a peaceful and uplifting environment in our home. It’s a great oil to have on hand, but also works really well in DIY bath products, like this one!
I added just a drop of food coloring to create each color. It’s just enough to color the salt without leaving your bath a crazy, colorful mess! And since you can’t have a rainbow without a pot of gold, gold mica powder was used to add a shimmering layer of salt to the mix!
- 2 cups Epsom salt
- 3 tbsp. organic coconut oil, melted
- Food coloring: red, yellow, blue, green
- 1/2 tsp. gold mica powder
- 1 large bowl
- 5 small bowls
- Happy essential oil blend
- Craft sticks or spoons
- Pint Mason jar
- In a large bowl, mix the Epsom salt and coconut oil together.
- Add a few drops of essential oil and mix well. Then, divide salt evenly between five small bowls.
- Next, begin adding food coloring to each bowl. Make one bowl red, one bowl yellow, one bowl blue, and one bowl green. Then, add gold mica powder to the last bowl.
- Layer the salts in the jar. Start with gold, then green, blue, yellow, and red on top.
- If desired, sprinkle a little more gold mica powder on top.
- Close up the jar and make your next bath or shower magical!
This salt scrub might look like a rainbow, but it’ll get your skin glowing like a pot of gold! Use this scrub up to three times a week to keep your skin soft, healthy, and lightly scented!
PIN FOR LATER