This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support this blog.
My dog is not at all particular about his treats. However, he does have a few favorites – like fresh fruit! Over the summer, he got to enjoy fresh berries from the bushes in our backyard. We have two gallon bags in the freezer full of berries from our yard. I haven’t used them for much, but Hunter gets a berry dropped into his food bowl at meals. If I don’t put a berry in his food, he knows and looks at me like, “Are you going to get me a raspberry or what?”
Now, I can’t seem to cut an apple in his presence. Fall has definitely inspired me to eat more apples and, with that, Hunter thinks I ought to share with him, too. Hunter’s tried a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies, but apples seem to be tops! We don’t mind sharing a little apple with Hunter because they’re good for his teeth, breath, and they’re a good source of fiber. It’s a healthy treat for both of us!
Since I had a little leftover canned pumpkin in the freezer (also pretty beneficial for dogs), I decided to blend it up with apple and a few other ingredients to make frozen dog treats. These treats are great to drop into Hunter’s food bowl at mealtime, just like the berries! Hunter’s also a big fan of ice cubes, so these treats combine the chill of ice with a lot of healthy benefits. We recommend giving your dog one of these treats per day as a reward or with food.
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 small apple, peeled with core removed and chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. honey (raw honey is the best option for dogs)
- 2 small silicone molds
- Add pumpkin puree, apple, coconut oil, and honey to a blender.
- To get mixture moving, add a little water at a time and blend until smooth, but liquefied.
- Carefully spoon mixture into molds and freeze until solid.
- Give your dog one frozen treat per day to keep them happy and healthy!
PIN FOR LATER
This week we’re sharing PUMPKIN themed recipes and craft projects for Maker’s Mix-Up!
Here’s what we shared last week for our APPLE theme!
- Apple Pecan Bread from Living La Vida Holoka
- Caramel Apple Pie from Living La Vida Holoka
- Apple, Chicken, and Brie Quesadilla from Living La Vida Holoka
- Toto-ly Delicious Apple Cake from Living La Vida Holoka
- Apple Peanut Butter Overnight Oats from Hello Nature
- Caramel Apple Bars from Hello Nature
- Homemade Apple Chips with Caramel Sauce from Hello Nature
- Caramel Cinnamon Apple Cider from Hello Nature
- Cherry Vanilla Chia Applesauce from Hello Nature
- Apple and Cheddar Galette from The Lazy Gastronome
- Apple Crisp from The Lazy Gastronome
- Simple Apple Cider from Whimsy and Hope