My father used to have a guys night every so often with some of the guys from his bowling league. It was during one of those dinners that I was introduced to my husband. I so wasn’t interested at first! But eventually I gave him a shot (after being reintroduced to him) and those guys nights became opportunities to see each other. Instead of hanging out with the guys, he would come hang out with me! Of course, not before we would enjoy some of my dad’s homemade pizza and mussels and whatever one of the guys may have brought over that night.
So today’s recipe is inspired by one of those dinners. One of the guys used to bring over these delicious, homemade sausage rolls. They were made with spicy sausage, strips of pepper, and tomato sauce, all wrapped inside dough and baked until golden brown.
I recently made my own version of those sausage rolls to have with dinner one night last week. Instead of using pizza dough, I saved myself the trouble and used a tube of refrigerated biscuits. I had peppers and onions already cooked in a tomato sauce from a previous dinner and a few links of sausage in the freezer. So it totally made sense to make these rolls!
Using refrigerated biscuits makes it so easy to assemble these rolls! Each biscuit gets rolled out on a floured surface to form a flat disk. Then, I spooned a little of the sauce in the center of the disk, making sure I had at least one strip of pepper inside, and added a couple bite-sized pieces of sausages on top. I folded each side of the biscuit dough over the sauce-filled center and placed each roll seam-down on a baking sheet. My final touch before baking was brushing a little olive oil on top.
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into small strips
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Refrigerated biscuits
- 3 sweet Italian sausage links, cooked and cut into 1 inch pieces
- Extra virgin olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- Heat tomatoes in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add peppers and onion to the sauce and season with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then lower heat.
- Allow sauce to simmer and cook peppers and onion down.
- Once the peppers and onions are soft, take sauce off heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 350º and prepare a baking sheet with foil and non-stick cooking spray.
- Take each individual biscuit and roll it out on a lightly floured surface.
- Spoon a little sauce onto the center of the biscuit dough, making sure there's at least one pepper strip included.
- Add 1-2 pieces of sausage onto sauce.
- Then, wrap each end of the biscuit dough over the center.
- Place roll, seam-down, onto a prepared baking sheet and continue with the rest of the biscuits.
- Brush each roll with a little extra virgin olive oil.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until rolls are golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
The inside of these rolls will be piping hot, so let them rest for a little bit before serving. Your mouth will thank you for it! Especially since you’ll want to dive right in for seconds! And if you just so happen to have leftovers, just pop these rolls in the freezer and reheat them in the oven. They’re a perfect make-ahead dinner roll for a weeknight dinner or a weekend gathering!