This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support this blog.
You all know that I love a good candle craft! This project was the first time I ever experimented with gel candle wax. It’s totally different than soy wax, a little easier to use, clean up is fast, and I love that you can add just about anything into it! Being that today is Shark Awareness Day (did you watch Shark Week?), I thought it would be fun to make a “shark infested” gel candle.
I have to admit that once upon a time, I really wanted to own a shark aquarium in my home. I thought it would have been pretty bad ass to have little sharks swimming around in a tank! This shark candle is as close as I’ll get to my little shark aquarium and it’s a hell of a lot easier to take care of! No feeding, no changing the water, no fear of having your hand bitten off!
Unfortunately, the one thing I realized while working with gel candle wax is that it bubbles like crazy! That’s just the way the wax sets. Also, if you’re looking for a heavily scented candle, this isn’t it! The gel makes it take on a totally different scent. Your fragrance will be in there. It just won’t be as strong as you might like it to be. That’s why I prefer gel candles as more of a decorative piece than anything!
- Oval glass container
- Gel candle wax
- Soy wicks
- Glue Dots
- Ocean Breeze candle scent
- 1 oz. white sand
- Anchor charm
- Small plastic sharks
- Bamboo skewers
- Add two Glue Dots to the bottom of the glass container, one on each end. Affix wicks to the Glue Dots.
- Pour sand into the container. Gently tap container to evenly distribute sand.
- Push seashells and anchor charm into the sand so they’re snug. Position a couple sharks in the sand, as well.
- Melt gel candle wax according to package. Add candle scent to melted wax and stir with a skewer to combine.
- Carefully pour melted wax into the container.
- As the wax begins to harden, you can reposition the sharks a little higher in the wax using a skewer to make it look as if they’re swimming.
- Allow gel to set completely before displaying.