A few years ago, I got together with a couple of my old coworkers at a local southwestern restaurant to catch up over lunch. That’s where I was first introduced to ceviche. If you’re unfamiliar with ceviche, it’s a seafood appetizer that’s typically made with raw fish. The fish is marinaded in lemon or lime juice. The acidity from the citrus juice cooks the fish and adds a nice flavor.
During a recent visit downtown, I walked passed that same restaurant and was reminded of the tuna ceviche dish that we had shared. I immediately thought about making my own version of ceviche with shrimp. Instead of serving it with rice or chips, I wanted to spoon the shrimp ceviche into Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry cups to make a fun, handheld appetizer.
This simple ceviche recipe would make a delicious springtime or summer appetizer. The morning I made these cups, I precooked the shrimp and chilled them in the fridge until I used them that afternoon. Of course, you could buy precooked shrimp and save yourself a step.
You’ll need a standard muffin tin to make the Puff Pastry cups. Turn the muffin tin over and spray it with non-stick cooking spray. Using the underside of the muffin tin creates a perfect cup shape for the dough. As it bakes in the oven, it gets flaky and golden brown making it a perfect, edible cup for the shrimp ceviche.
- 1/2 lb. - 1 lb. large shrimp, cooked and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small avocado, chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry sheet, thawed
- Salt, to taste
- Scallions or chives, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400º. Spray the bottom of a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Unfold the Puff Pastry Sheet and roll it out so it's slightly larger than it was.
- Cut the Puff Pastry Sheet into six squares.
- Place each Puff Pastry Sheet square on top of each muffin tin cup creating a bowl.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until Puff Pastry is flaky and golden brown.
- While the Puff Pastry Sheet squares are baking, prepare the ceviche.
- Add chopped shrimp, jalapeno, onion, tomatoes, and avocado into a medium bowl.
- Stir in the lime juice and add salt to season.
- Chill the ceviche until the Puff Pastry cups are cool.
- Then, fill each cup with ceviche.
- Garnish with chopped scallions or chives, if desired.
- Serve with lime wedges and hot sauce.
- Brush the Puff Pastry with egg wash before baking to bring out even more of its golden color.
If you need a savory or sweet dish to bring to your next springtime gathering, get #InspiredByPuff with Puff Pastry Sheets! They’re golden, flaky and so versatile! Check out Puff Pastry Sheets on Pinterest for more recipes!
PIN FOR LATER
If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy these shrimp recipes as well: