These Turkey Taco Stuffed Peppers are a delicious way to use up leftover taco meat in a healthy meal your family will love!
Taco night is always a favorite night in our house. We’ve been having taco night about once a week for the past few weeks. Instead of using ground beef or chicken for our tacos, I’ve been using ground turkey. It creates a leaner, more protein-packed taco meat that’s delicious over brown rice (my favorite alternative to boxed taco shells)! All I do is brown my ground turkey and add taco seasoning. Then, I serve it over brown rice with additional toppings like shredded cheese, salsa, hot sauce, olives, and sour cream. So good!
However, one package of ground turkey makes quite a lot for the two of us. Sometimes I split the package and freeze the rest, or we split leftovers for lunch. This week, I remembered a recipe I had made a while ago for Turkey Taco Stuffed Peppers. It’s a great way to use up our taco leftovers!
With such a large vegetable garden this year, I hope we get a lot of peppers out of it, as we have in past years, including bell peppers. I have been using them more and more in my cooking. Especially red bell peppers! They’re great for roasting and sauteing and have a great sweetness to them that you don’t get in a green bell pepper. And while I used to omit onions from everything, I’m starting to warm up to them again. Red onions being my favorite. I think I have a thing for red veggies!
So, of course, I decided to stuffed my leftover taco turkey meat and brown rice in a red bell pepper. I charred my red peppers, as I usually do, before stuffing them and baking them in the oven, topped with cheddar cheese. When they were done baking, I added a spoonful of mild salsa on top of each pepper half and garnished them with more chopped red onion. Next time, I’ll add some sliced black olives and chopped cilantro.
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 package of taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Brown the ground turkey in a skillet over medium heat with the onions and garlic.
- Add taco seasoning, water, rice, salsa, and tomato sauce. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is cooked.
- Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, removing stem and scraping out the seeds and membranes.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Fill each pepper with meat mixture and place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top of each pepper.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender.
- If using leftover turkey taco meat, mix the meat with brown rice. Then, add the rest of the ingredients to the skillet and continue to follow recipe instructions.