This 5 Bean Turkey Chili is loaded with protein thanks to ground turkey and 5 kinds of beans! Make this easy chili on the stovetop or in the crockpot!
As you know, I have been trying to shed a little weight. I have been exercising almost every night (and feeling pretty good about it!), as well as making some changes to my diet. My husband came home from work one night and told me about a diet his coworker went on called The Fast Metabolism Diet. His coworker, his coworker’s wife, and mother-in-law all lost a significant amount of weight on this diet in about four months. I was skeptical about it. He just told me, “Read the book.” So I am.
I kind of get it. The main premise of this diet is to keep your body confused so it has to work harder. The diet works in phases. Phase 1 is when you eat carbs. I almost quit hearing that since I’ve been eating low carb. Then, I read on. It’s not the carbs we all think of like pasta, pasta, and more pasta. It’s more along the lines of sprouted grains and quinoa. I can hang with that for two days out of the week.
Phase 2 will probably become my favorite phase: protein. And that’s where this recipe comes from. I am an egg eater, a meat eater, a seafood eater. I am a total carnivore and I’ll get two days of that! But before I move on to the recipe, let me tell you about Phase 3.
Phase 3 is where you introduce healthy fats (think avocados and nuts) to the week along with a combination of carbs and protein. The only downside to this diet is that for 28 days there’s no dairy (♥ you, miss you, cheese), caffeine (I won’t die without it), or alcohol (But wine is a grape!). I’m determined to see if this diet really works as well as I’ve heard and read about. I can’t wait to get the cookbook!
One of the things I love about the recipes in this book is that they’re easy to make and sound pretty delicious. As soon as I read “chili” in the recipe list, I automatically asked my husband if he wanted chili for dinner one night. Now is the time of year that I start getting excited for hearty meals cooked in the crockpot and meaty meals like chili. This turkey chili recipe was a total win for me!
- - 1 pound ground turkey
- - 2 garlic cloves, minced
- - 1 tbsp. chili powder
- - 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- - 1/2 tsp. cumin
- - 15-oz. can organic canellini beans, rinsed
- - 15-oz. can organic dark red kidney beans, rinsed
- - 15-oz. can organic black beans, rinsed
- - 15-oz. can organic pinto beans, rinsed
- - 15 oz. can organic adzuki beans (or use lentils), rinsed
- - 1 large green bell pepper, cut into chunks
- - 2 28-oz. cans crushed tomatoes
- In a pan, brown the ground turkey. Drain.
- Set crockpot to high and add turkey, garlic, and spices to the pot.
- Once beans are drained, add them to the pot.
- Then, pour tomato sauce over contents. Stir and cover.
- Cook for 5 hours on high or 8 hours on low. The longer it cooks, the better it will taste!
- Adjust seasonings as needed and serve. Enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support this blog.