All you need is an air fryer to make this quick and convenient Air Fryer Zucchini Parm Pizza! Zucchini parm and flatbread pizza are combined in a quick, easy, and healthier way to enjoy these delicious Italian flavors in one tasty dish!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
When I was single, I never dreamed that one day I would be standing in the middle of Walmart with my husband, arguing over whether or not we needed an air fryer. Such a silly little thing, but it didn’t seem like a necessity at the time. Especially since my husband was 100 percent adamant about getting an air fryer just because “french fries in the oven suck.” So I said, “If you really want french fries, I’ll go to a drive-thru for you. You don’t need to spend this much money just to make fries!” He held the air fryer box like a kid clutching their most coveted item in a toy store. I eventually gave in, said “okay,” and we brought home a new air fryer.
The first recipe we ever tried in the air fryer was onion rings. I was still really skeptical until the first batch was done. My husband took an onion ring and lovingly shoved it into my mouth, and then proceeded to laugh when I nodded that he was right. He was. Since then, I have never once complained about our air fryer. In fact, I use it all the time now! We’ve used it to make wings, different kinds of fries, potato chips, hash browns – basically a whole lot of potato recipes. So I decided to try something different.
I’ve been in a recipe rut lately. Not exactly a dinner rut. A food blogger funk, if you will. Last week, I decided to see what I could make with some of the ingredients I had in the house. I love keeping zucchini in the fridge to make zoodles. A while ago, I came up with the idea to make a zucchini parm flatbread. I mean, I love pizza and Parmesan, so it was basically a no-brainer. Well, I never went through with the recipe and the idea sat in my brainstorming notebook for about a year.
Fast forward to last week when I finally made this recipe a reality! I hate frying, which is a crucial step in any good Parmesan preparation. So I wanted to try to make the zucchini in the air fryer. IT. WAS. AWESOME! From there, I assembled my flatbread with tomato sauce, the air fried zucchini, more sauce, and mozzarella cheese. Then, I finished it off by popping the flatbread in the air fryer to melt the cheese and crisp up the crust. It worked like a charm and was so much easier than frying zucchini on the stove top and making pizza in the oven!
The kind of naan you use is up to you. I like wheat naan, garlic naan, and plain, frozen naan from Trader Joe’s. Naan flatbread makes a quick, easy, and delicious pizza when you’re about to keel over and die from starvation (or you’re just really, really hungry and craving pizza).
Make sure that you use seasoned bread crumbs to make the zucchini. I used seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs and doctored up a jar of sauce with garlic and onion. The sauce turned out amazing! It was so worth the extra step! Trust me!
- Small zucchini, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs, or bread crumbs of your choice
- Large egg, beaten
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. red onion, diced
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Crushed red pepper, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 shredded mozzarella
- Naan flatbread
- Optional: fresh basil, Parmesan cheese
- Dip the zucchini into the egg and then into the bread crumb.
- Repeat with all of the zucchini slices.
- Then, place zucchini into the basket of an air fryer.
- Cook at 375º for 10 minutes, or until all of the zucchini slices are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from air fryer.
- Allow the basket to cool and wipe clean.
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium.
- Add the onion and cook until softened. Then, add the garlic.
- Cook the garlic until fragrant and add the tomato sauce.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Begin assembling the flatbread by spreading sauce evenly on top.
- Then, add the zucchini slices. Spread more sauce on top of the zucchini.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of the flatbread and carefully place back into the air fryer basket.
- Cook at 375º for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and just beginning to brown.
- Carefully remove from the air fryer basket and serve with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Flatbread pizza in the air fryer is a definite game changer! It will cut the zucchini prep in half and make it so much easier to enjoy an almost homemade pizza! Despite the trouble I gave my husband in the beginning about buying an air fryer, it turned out to be a worthwhile investment. I can’t wait to experiment with even more air fryer recipes!
PIN FOR LATER