This Baked Tomato and Egg Breakfast is an easy, low carb dish made with minimal ingredients and tons of fresh flavor!
I was up earlier than necessary this morning. I didn’t sleep so well the night before despite exhaustion taking over me throughout yesterday. But I took advantage of the early morning and made myself a fancy breakfast; fancy in presentation, but only a few easy steps to make.
Looking in my fridge, I found two tomatoes I had bought from the farmer’s market. They were on-the-vine variety, which I love because they tend to be firmer and stay longer than loose tomatoes. Remembering a recipe I saw on Pinterest for a Baked Tomato and Egg Breakfast, I decided to make that for my morning meal and use up the rest of my tomato supply.
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 2 large eggs
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Lemon pepper, or seasoning of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut the tops off of the tomatoes.
- Carefully cut around the inside of the tomato and scoop out the seeds with a spoon.
- Crack an egg into each tomato.
- Season with lemon pepper and bake for 30-40 minutes or until eggs are set.
The tomatoes will be piping hot from the oven so let them cool a bit. Baking the tomatoes brings out their natural sweetness. This breakfast is an easy way to use up summer’s supply of tomatoes (I can’t wait until my garden tomatoes start growing) and because you can bake more than one at a time, they’d be good to make for a crowd. Enjoy!