Turn taco night into a party with these Baked Wonton Beef Tacos made with taco filling, cheese, and wonton wrappers!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
We’re going to my parents’ house for dinner tonight. Since I never want to show up empty-handed, I decided to make an appetizer out of ingredients I had in my fridge. I had a package of wonton wrappers in the freezer and some defrosted ground meat in the fridge to use. So I put the two together and made mini wonton tacos!
Wontons might look a little intimidating to make, but they’re really easy to put together! Whip up some beef taco meat, add in some chopped onion, olives, and cilantro, top it with cheddar cheese, and wrap it all up in a wonton wrapper! Then, all you have to do is bake them for about 10 minutes and you’ve got golden, crispy bites of taco deliciousness!
This recipe is a great way to use up leftover taco meat – if you’re lucky enough to have leftovers after taco night! Try them with chicken taco filling, too!
Baked Wonton Beef Tacos
The first thing you have to do is make your taco filling. Pretty simple stuff if you’re like me and basically celebrate Taco Tuesday on a weekly basis. Start by browning the ground beef, draining it, and adding in the taco seasoning. Then, add chopped onion, black olives, and fresh cilantro.
Take a wonton and add a small spoonful of the taco meat into the center of the wrapper. Sprinkle it with shredded cheddar cheese. Then, dip your finger into water and run it around the edge of the wonton. Fold the wonton over to form a triangle and place it on a baking sheet.
Once all the wontons are on the pan, lightly brush them with olive oil. This is what’s going to give these wontons a golden brown color and a lot of crunch!
These wontons are little pockets of taco flavor and crunch! Serve them with your favorite taco toppings like salsa, lime wedges, green onions, and cilantro!
- Wonton wrappers
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Taco seasoning packet + water
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Optional: lime wedges, chopped scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, salsa
- Preheat oven to 400º and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a skillet, brown the ground beef and drain.
- Add taco seasoning and water, as instructed on the back of the seasoning packet. Stir to combine. Add the red onion and black olives. Cook 2-3 minutes, or until the onions begin to soften and become translucent. Stir in the fresh cilantro and remove from heat.
- Lay a wonton down so it looks like a diamond and fill with a small spoonful of taco filling. Top with a small sprinkle of cheddar cheese.
- Dip a finger in water and trace the outer edge of the wonton. Gently fold the bottom corner of your wonton onto the top corner so it looks like a triangle. Press sides securely closed.
- Brush each wonton with olive oil and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until edges start to brown.
- Remove the wonton tacos from the pan and serve warm with lime wedges, chopped scallions, fresh cilantro, and salsa, if desired.
These wonton tacos are great to keep in the freezer when you want to just take a few and warm them up (I like to have a couple for lunch with a small salad). If you’re looking to add them to an appetizer spread, I would freeze them before baking. That way they’ll bake evenly with your other frozen appetizers.
Did you make this Baked Wonton Beef Tacos recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER