This Easy Cajun Shrimp Rice Bowl is a simple dish made with blackened shrimp, Cajun-style chicken sausage, and peppers and onions over a brown rice blend. It’s perfect for meal prepping or as an easy weeknight meal.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Last year after my birthday, I vowed that I would take better care of myself and be mindful of what I ate. Uhm…that didn’t go so well. So here we are again, about a year later, and I’m making that same vow to myself. Not only because I want to be the best version of myself that I can be, but because I am now officially in my 40’s. And that means, trying to keep my health in check.
Thankfully, I have my Hungryroot grocery subscription to help stock my fridge with healthier options and simple recipes. The best part? I don’t have to sacrifice on flavor! I can shop for a variety of different proteins (including plant based options), produce, whole grains, spices, sauces, and more!
So while I was shopping for my last box of groceries, I came across a bunch of ingredients that would allow me to create the perfect Cajun rice bowl. I love a good rice bowl! They’re perfect for meal prepping and full of flavor! And this rice bowl is made with Cajun inspired flavors with just the right amount of spice!
Easy Cajun Shrimp Rice Bowl
All it takes to make this recipe is Cajun-Style Andouille Chicken Sausage, shrimp, blackening seasoning, thyme, bell peppers and onion, and a brown rice blend. And this rice bowl is perfect for meal prepping with just the right amount of kick!
The first step to making this rice bowl is searing the sausage. Cut 2 sausage links into chunks and sear it in a skillet with a little olive oil. Once it’s seared and warmed through, remove it from the skillet and set aside.
Now, cook the shrimp. Pat it dry and season with some of the blackening seasoning. Cook the shrimp until it’s pink and completely cooked through. Remove it from the pan and set aside.
Then, add a little more olive oil, if needed, and add the bell peppers and onions. Cook just until softened and stir in the fresh thyme leaves.
Add the shrimp and sausage back into the skillet to warm it up. Toss with the peppers and onions to combine.
Microwave the rice blend according to package and divide it between bowls.
Then, top each bowl with sausage, shrimp, peppers, and onions. Add chopped scallions for garnish, if desired, and serve.
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 links Cajun-Style Andouille Chicken Sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 oz. Wild Caught Gulf Shrimp
- 1-2 tsp. Blackening Seasoning
- 1 package Bell Pepper Onion Saute
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8.5 oz. package Brown Rice Quinoa Blend
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: chopped green onions, for garnish
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the sausage for 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet.
- Wipe out the skillet and add more olive oil, if necessary.
- Pat the shrimp dry and sprinkle with the blackening seasoning.
- Add to the skillet and cook over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes until the shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add the pepper and onion sauté, plus more oil if needed, and cook just until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the thyme.
- Then, add the shrimp and sausage back into the skillet just until warm.
- Microwave the rice package according to the instructions. Then, divide between bowls.
- Divide the shrimp, sausage, and peppers and onions between bowls.
- Serve immediately with chopped scallions, if desired.
Want to add another protein boost to this bowl? Add a package of A Dozen Cousins Creole Red Beans!
This rice bowl is simple, delicious, and filling! It’s full of healthy protein with just the right amount of smokey spiciness. And thanks to Hungryroot, the prep work was pretty much done for me. All I had to do was cook, assemble, and enjoy!
Make this Easy Cajun Shrimp Rice Bowl recipe with Hungryroot!
Grab the ingredients to make this recipe and more with Hungryroot! Use my code 30OFF2NFREEBIE at checkout to score 30% off your first two deliveries + get a freebie for life! You can choose from a free veggie, cookie dough, or pasta for the length of your subscription!
Did you make this Easy Cajun Shrimp Rice Bowl recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER