This delicious Caprese Salad Stuffed Avocado recipe is the perfect combination of a favorite Summer salad and a seriously trendy fruit!
Now that the 4th of July weekend is over, perhaps you’re feeling like you’ve overindulged a bit at your holiday gatherings. Too much barbecue food and booze? Maybe you’ve told yourself that you’re going to be a little more conscience about what you eat this week. Today, I’m going to help you out with a delicious lunch recipe!
The other weekend while I was hanging out at my parents’ house, I made my mom and I lunch from a few things that we picked up at the farmer’s market. My mom and I are both huge fans of avocado and Caprese salad. So I thought, “Why not put both of them together?” We added some chopped grilled chicken and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. So freaking good! A perfect afternoon lunch bite to enjoy in the backyard by the pool!
My love for avocados began some time ago when I discovered how easy it was to make homemade guacamole (because chips and dip for life!). Then, avocado toast became a big foodie craze and I found myself purchasing avocados 3-5 at a time just to make it each morning at breakfast! But now, I’ve found an even better way to eat an avocado – by stuffing it!
As much as I love avocados in the Summer, I could eat Caprese salad just about every day! The ingredients are simple, fresh, and so delicious! Especially when made with homegrown, garden ingredients!
Aside from three kinds of basil, we also have cherry tomatoes growing in our garden. There are a whole bunch of them on the vine and I am waiting so impatiently for them to turn red. If I don’t pop them all into my mouth straight from the vine, I’ll certainly be using some to make these Caprese Salad Stuffed Avocados!
So I wasn’t too bummed when I had another avocado to use this past week, as well as everything else needed to recreate this awesome lunch dish. The only thing missing was the balsamic glaze. But if you have balsamic vinegar and a little sugar, you’re all set to make your own (head down to the recipe notes to see how)!
- 1 avocado, halved with pit removed
- 1/4 cup shredded Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup small mozzarella balls, cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup grilled chicken, cubed (Perdue Short Cuts work awesome for this!)
- Fresh basil, chopped
- Balsamic glaze (see notes)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Scoop out a little avocado. Save the scooped out avocado for later or just pop it right in your mouth!
- Add little shredded lettuce to the bottom of each avocado half.
- Top the lettuce with tomatoes, mozzarella, and chicken.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze over each half.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with chopped basil.
- To make balsamic glaze: Add 1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp. sugar to a saucepan. Stir to combine. Heat over medium and bring mixture to a boil. Stir again. When balsamic glaze has reduced by half and becomes thick, remove from heat. Allow to cool and drizzle over avocado halves.
So the next time you’re craving Caprese salad, consider turning it into a healthy lunch by stuffing it inside of an avocado! It’s one of those dishes that will make your tastebuds happy and you’ll be happy that eating healthy can taste so good!
If you decide to make this Caprese Salad Stuffed Avocado recipe, don’t forget to share it with the hashtag #livinglavidaeats and tag me @lavidaholoka! Enjoy!