Warm up with a thick and comforting bowl of Pureed Lentil Soup with Escarole made with Italian style ingredients like onion, garlic, fresh escarole, and shaved Parmesan.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Another round of snow floated down from the sky last night, coating everything in its path in a fresh new coat of sparkly, winter white. I tossed and turned like a child wondering whether a day of work would be called off. We were anticipating another big storm.
My love was called into work at midnight. I haven’t seen him since he came in to grab the bagel sandwich I made him last night and gave me a kiss good-night, making my sleep efforts seem like an unwanted chore. I always hate when he’s not home overnight.
Always last to be plowed out, always a mess of snow and ice leftover to threaten slipping and sliding on your way, I chose to give up a day of pay. I must admit I started feeling a touch of cabin fever early this afternoon. This can’t possibly go on all winter.
So I did laundry and watched TV, cleaned and cooked. My belly is full from the lunch I had of lentil and escarole soup. I now sit with a cup of hot apple cider as I watch a light flurry that appeared fall outside of my dining room window.
Pureed Lentil Soup with Escarole
This soup was inspired by a recipe that I found in La Cucina Italiana magazine. You puree lentils with onions, garlic, and vegetable broth. Then, pull the whole soup together with escarole and shaved Parmesan on top. Instead of just topping the soup with escarole, I added it in the soup itself. It turned out pretty yummy!
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 small head escarole, cleaned and roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings: crushed red pepper flakes, olive oil, shaved Parmesan
- Heat half of the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic, cooking until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add lentils and stir to combine.
- Pour in half of the vegetable broth, plus the water, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce to a low simmer and cook until lentils are tender, 35 to 40 minutes. Allow lentils to cool.
- In a large skillet, heat remaining olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the escarole and season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, about 3 minutes. Then, add to the lentils (reserve a little to garnish the soup).
- Using a hand blender, carefully puree the lentils with the remaining vegetable broth.
- Bring the soup back to a low simmer and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
- Spoon soup into bowls, drizzle with olive oil, top with more escarole, crushed red pepper, and shaved Parmesan cheese.
This soup thickens up as it cools down. It’s thick and satisfying with fresh, Italian inspired flavors! A perfect meal for a snow day!
Did you make this Pureed Lentil Soup with Escarole recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER