Chocolate and peanut butter lovers will go crazy for these Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies made with mini peanut butter cups and a soft chocolate cookie base.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Well….2020 really sucked. But my holiday baking sure didn’t! I made a lucky 13 assortment of cookies and candy this year and every single batch (okay, maybe except one test batch of cookies) turned out perfect! The grand finale of my holiday baking was these peanut butter cup cookies.
Up until this year, I don’t think I’ve ever made a chocolate cookie to add to my cookie trays and tins. Crazy! I know! So I took inspiration from my Reese’s Pieces Chocolate Chip Cookies and made chocolate cookies with mini peanut butter cups in them. Because what goes better with chocolate than peanut butter?
Here’s what I really love about these cookies. The chocolate cookie base is almost like a soft brownie – and I freaking love brownies! I added chopped mini peanut butter cups into the cookie dough. When the cookies bake, the PB cups melt into the cookie dough and you get this chocolate and peanut butter swirl inside.
And to make these cookies a little extra, I added some chopped PB cups on top. So not only do you get that swirly, chocolate PB mix going on inside, you’re getting slightly melted PB cups on top for a double dose of deliciousness!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
These cookies are easy to make and not-as-easy to share. But tis the season and all of that good stuff, so I do plan on sharing these on the cookie trays I’m making for my family. You know, minus a few that I’ve already eaten because they’re just that good!
This cookie recipe starts with a stick of softened butter and sugar. Cream the two together until the mixture is nice and smooth.
Then, you’re going to add an egg and vanilla extract. Mix just until it’s incorporated.
Add in the flour just until it’s combined. Then, mix in the cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
Now you’re going to add some chopped mini peanut butter cups to that gorgeous chocolate cookie dough. Make sure they’re all stirred in so every cookie has a good amount of chocolate and peanut butter in it!
Add spoonfuls of the cookie dough to parchment paper lined baking sheets. Flatten down the dough just a bit with your fingers and add more chopped PB cups on top.
Bake the cookies in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until they’re done in the middle. Let them cool for a few minutes and transfer them to a wire rack.
Once the cookies are completely cooled (and it’s kind of hard to wait for them to cool completely because yum!), you can store them in cookie tins. Or devour them and act like you never baked them!
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup mini peanut butter cups, roughly chopped + 1/2 cup for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Add the stick of butter and sugar to a mixing bowl. Cream together until the mixture is smooth.
- Mix in the egg and vanilla just until combined.
- Then, add the flour just until combined and mix in the cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Stir in 1 cup of mini peanut butter cups.
- Add spoonfuls of the cookie dough to the prepared baking sheets. Flatten the cookie dough just a bit with your fingers.
- Add the remaining chopped peanut butter cups on top and gently press them into the cookie dough.
- Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until the cookies are done in the middle.
- Let the cookies sit for a few minutes. Then, transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store cookies in airtight containers or cookie tins.
I’ve tried a lot of new cookie recipes this year, but these might be my favorite! Just the simple combination of peanut butter and chocolate have made these soft chocolate cookies so, so good! Merry Cookie-mas! I mean, Christmas!
Did you make this Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER