I had a special request for my stir fry recipe so here’s how I whipped it up tonight. Note that veggie options change varying on what’s in my fridge/freezer at the time and usually I use 2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into small pieces, but I got lazy tonight. I also like to toy with seasonings and spices. Often I add a pinch of Chinese Five Spice in my sauce, green onions and serve with sriracha sauce.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 package Trader Joe’s Just Grilled Chicken Strips
- approx. 2 cups fresh snow peas, ends trimmed
- 2 heads of broccoli, crowns only
- 2 bell peppers (I used yellow and orange), cut into strips
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp. peanut oil (or vegetable/olive oil if you have a nut-free home)
For the sauce
- 1 cup soy sauce, low sodium is best
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp. buckwheat honey, but any honey will do
- 1 tbsp. sherry cooking wine
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
In a small pot, heat broth until it comes to a boil. Add rice and let cook according to package.
In a large pan or wok, heat oil over medium heat. Add Trader Joe’s chicken strips and cooked until heated through. Add garlic and cook until it starts to brown. Add veggies until they start to soften. Whisk together sauce ingredients and pour onto stir fry mix. Turn heat to low and let sauce thicken. Stir fry is ready when sauce is thick and veggies are softened, yet still hold some of their crunch.
Serve stir fry with rice and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings.