Happy Halloween! No tricks here today. Just 100 percent treats! Rice Krispie Treats, that is! I made these Rice Krispie Treats a few weeks ago for my cousin’s husband’s birthday. She told me he was a big fan of marshmallow, coconut and chocolate. Right away I thought about making fancied up Rice Krispie Treats with the addition of chocolate morsels and shredded coconut. Couldn’t be bad, right? It wasn’t! Rice Krispie Treats are a classic sweet indulgence. The addition of chocolate and coconut makes them seem fancy, but they take little additional effort to make.
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 - 10oz package mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate morsels
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Wax paper
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- When butter is completely melted, add bag of marshmallows and stir consistently until melted.
- Take pan off of heat and add Rice Krispies, stirring to combine.
- Add chocolate morsels and coconut. Stir.
- Press Rice Krispie Treats into prepared pan using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon.
- Top with additional chocolate morsels and coconut.
- Using a sheet of wax paper, press chocolate morsels and coconut into Rice Krispie Treats, evening out the top.
- Allow to cool thoroughly and cut into squares.
These Rice Krispie Treats are sweet like candy, but ooey, gooey and sticky just as they should be. The mini morsels melt when mixed in, leaving a trail of chocolate throughout the cereal bars. Considering it’s Halloween, cut your Rice Krispie Treats into spooky shapes with cookie cutters. Boys and ghouls might forget about their candy buckets after eating one of these!
Enjoy and Happy Halloween!