Classic Rice Krispie Treats get a major upgrade thanks to toasted coconut and mini chocolate morsels that add a swirl of chocolate and a touch of sweetness in every bite!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Happy Halloween! No tricks here today. Just 100 percent treats! Rice Krispie Treats, that is! I made these Rice Krispie Treats a few weeks ago for my cousin’s husband’s birthday. She told me he was a big fan of marshmallow, coconut, and chocolate. Right away I thought about making fancied up Rice Krispie Treats with the addition of chocolate morsels and toasted coconut. Couldn’t be bad, right? It wasn’t! They were a total hit!
Rice Krispie Treats are a classic sweet indulgence. The addition of chocolate and coconut makes them seem fancy, but they take little additional effort to make.
Rice Krispie Treats are probably one of the easiest sweet treats you can make! If you keep them plain, all you need is Rice Krispies cereal, a bag of mini marshmallows, and a little butter. While everyone loves this classic lunchbox treat, they’re even better when you start adding stuff into that crispy, marshmallow mix!
Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats
The first thing you need to do is melt the marshmallows. Add the bag of marshmallows in a large pot with 3 tablespoons of butter over low heat. Stir, stir, stir until the marshmallows are melted. As the marshmallows were melting, I started my coconut in another pan. I toasted the coconut over low heat just until it was golden brown. As soon as it started turning golden brown, I gave it a stir and took it off the heat.
Working quickly, I stirred the Rice Krispies into the melted marshmallows. You want to make sure that it’s good and mixed up so that every bite of these treats is gooey and sweet!
Now, here’s where it gets even more fun! Add in some mini chocolate chips and stir to incorporate them evenly into the mixture. You’ll notice them starting to melt, giving these Rice Krispie Treats a nice swirl of chocolate throughout each bar!
Then, I stirred in the toasted coconut. The toasted coconut gives these treats a little extra crunch. Toasting the coconut brings out a nuttier flavor, which works really well with the chocolate.
Once I got everything all mixed up, I pressed the treats into a pan. Then, I added some more toasted coconut and chocolate chips on top. My tip is to use wax paper to press the toppings into the treats so they won’t fall off.
Let the treats set before cutting into bars, then serve. I was able to get 18 treats out of this recipe.
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 - 10oz package mini marshmallows
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate morsels
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- When the butter is completely melted, add the bag of marshmallows and stir consistently until completely melted.
- Take pan off of heat and add Rice Krispies, stirring to combine.
- In a small pan, add the coconut and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until it's golden brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of the mini chocolate morsels and coconut. Then, stir the rest of the chocolate and coconut into the marshmallow mixture.
- Press the Rice Krispie Treats into the prepared pan.
- Top the treats with the reserved chocolate morsels and coconut and use a sheet of wax paper to press the toppings into the Rice Krispie Treats.
- Allow the Rice Krispie Treats to set and cut into squares.
These Rice Krispie Treats are sweet like candy, but ooey, gooey and sticky just as they should be. The mini morsels melt when mixed in, leaving a trail of chocolate throughout the cereal bars. Considering it’s Halloween, you could cut your Rice Krispie Treats into spooky shapes with cookie cutters. Boys and ghouls might forget about their candy buckets after eating one of these!
Did you make this Toasted Coconut and Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER