These Chocolate Covered Apple Slices and Hearts will be a sweet chocolaty treat for the apple of your eye on Valentine’s Day!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
I got my Valentine’s Day gift early this year. My husband is back on a two week on, two week off schedule thanks to a rise in Covid cases at work. So now I get to hang out with him a lot more! He was on this schedule when the pandemic first started. It was a bit of a surprise when he got that phone call (on a personal day off, mind you) that he didn’t have to go back to work for two weeks!
The last time he was on this schedule, it was springtime. So we spent a lot of time outside. It’s a little different now that it’s cold out. We’ve run errands together and had some snow to play in like big kids, but mostly we’ve just been hanging out inside while doing one or two small house projects (and ,of course, I’m still working). But one thing has stayed the same while my boo is home. I ‘ve been making him lots of homemade goodies!
We always have a ton of apples in the fridge. I also had some leftover chocolate chips from holiday baking and a whole bunch of sprinkles. So I decided to slice up a couple of our apples, dip them in chocolate, and add sprinkles to make an early Valentine’s Day treat.
Chocolate Covered Apple Slices and Hearts
Chocolate covered strawberries are great, but have you tried a chocolate covered apple? They’re a crunchy, sweet, and delicious treat! And putting them on lollipop sticks makes them easy to eat!
I sliced the apples into 1/2 inch slices and cut the rest of the apple into wedges. I cut the slices into hearts with cookie cutters. Then, I placed the apples into a bowl of lemon water to keep them from browning.
I melted chocolate chips over low heat and added a tablespoon of coconut oil. This combo makes a nice chocolate shell on the apple slices and the chocolate also sets faster.
Working quickly, carefully insert a lollipop stick (the thinner the lollipop stick, the better) into each piece of apple and pat the apple slices dry. Dip into chocolate and place on a baking sheet prepared with wax paper. Then, place the apples in the fridge until the chocolate sets.
Once the chocolate is set, drizzle with white chocolate and decorate with Valentine’s Day sprinkles. Let the white chocolate set in the fridge and then serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- 2-3 apples
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Large bowl of water
- 12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- Heart cookie cutters
- Valentine's Day sprinkles
- Lollipop sticks
- Prepare a couple baking sheets with wax paper and set aside.
- Cut the apples into 1/2 inch slices. Then, cut the rest of the apple into wedges.
- Place the sliced apples into a bowl of lemon water and set aside.
- Add the semi-sweet chocolate chips and coconut oil into a small pot and heat the pot to low.
- Stir continuously until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- Remove the apple slices from the lemon water and pat dry.
- Cut the sliced apples into hearts with cookie cutters. Then, carefully insert lollipop sticks into the apple slices and wedges.
- Dip the apples into the melted chocolate making sure to coat the apples completely. Allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the pot. Then, place the apples onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Place the baking sheets into the fridge and let the chocolate set for about 10 minutes.
- Add the white chocolate chips to another small pot and heat over low. Stir continuously until melted.
- Drizzle the apples with white chocolate and add sprinkles. Place the apples back into the fridge until the white chocolate sets.
- Serve the chocolate covered apples immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
This easy homemade Valentine’s Day treat would make a delicious homemade gift, a fun activity to do with the kiddos, or just a sweet treat to share with your sweet someone!
Did you make these Chocolate Covered Apple Slices and Hearts? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats or #livinglavidadiy. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER