Whether you love chocolate or you love pecan pie, you’ll love a slice of this dessert made with classic pecan pie ingredients, plus chocolate chips, and bourbon!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
It’s always a dangerous thing to ask my husband, “I’m going food shopping. Is there anything you want?” My grocery list seems to double in size and price all due to his appetite for sweets and snacks. One thing he asked for while planning my last trip to the store was chocolate pecan pie.
A coworker shared his wife’s recipe with my husband some time ago. He actually made the trip to our house to drop off the handwritten recipe. I remember asking, “So I guess this means you really want me to make this for you, huh?” And so, one of my husband’s favorite baked treats was introduced in our household. This twist on pecan pie would make a great dessert for the holidays….if it makes it out of your house!
Gooey Chocolate Pecan Pie
I love pie, but to be honest, I’m not much of a fan of pecan pie. It’s a little too sweet for my liking. My husband, however, can’t get enough of it! So whenever I make this, it’s just for him! The way my husband likes it is with an extra tablespoon of bourbon (which is reflected in the recipe below). We usually use a flavored bourbon – like honey or maple – to give it an extra boost of flavor.
The original recipe called for a bar of baker’s chocolate to be cut into chunks. The chocolate chunks never really melted well, so there wasn’t chocolate distributed evenly throughout the pie. So I tried making the pie with chocolate chips instead and had a way better result! The chocolate melts into the pie, lending to its gooey texture.
When I asked my husband how he liked his pie, he said it was “very chocolaty!” Definitely a good thing!
- 1 room-temperate store bought pie crust
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light or dark corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp. bourbon
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Roll the pie crust out until it's slightly larger.
- Carefully place the pie crust into a pie dish, crimping the edges
- Cover the bottom of the pie crust with pecan halves.
- Whisk the eggs and melted butter together. Then, add the corn syrup, sugar, bourbon, and chocolate chips.
- Stir all ingredients until combined and pour the mixture over the pecans.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet (to avoid overspill) and bake for 10 minutes.
- Lower the heat to 350º and bake for an additional 25 minutes, or until the pie is set in the middle.
- Allow the pie to cool and serve with whipped cream, if desired.
If you’re looking for a new pie to try this holiday season and want something slightly less traditional, give this Gooey Chocolate Pecan Pie a try!
Did you make these Gooey Chocolate Pecan Pie? Share your pics on Instagram using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER