Finish off your St. Patrick’s Day celebration with this rich and gooey Chocolate Whiskey Loaf Cake infused with whiskey and topped with chocolate frosting and St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
If you’ve been following my Instagram stories for a while, then you know that this recipe didn’t start out as a loaf cake. I was trying to perfect chocolate whiskey meringues. I came close a couple times, but they just weren’t good enough to share here on my website.
Maybe one day I’ll revisit that recipe idea. But for now, I cannot eat another meringue (and I’ve eaten lots of them). In fact, I don’t even want to look at another one for a very long time!
Still, I really wanted to use chocolate and whiskey in a St. Patrick’s Day dessert recipe. So I pivoted and decided to make a Chocolate Whiskey Loaf Cake instead.
As much as I absolutely love meringues, you just can’t go wrong with chocolate cake! Especially when it’s made with a touch of whiskey!
Chocolate Whiskey Loaf Cake
This St. Patrick’s Day loaf cake is full of rich chocolate flavor and a touch of smoky whiskey sweetness. The chocolate frosting on top is dressed with green St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles for a festive and easy dessert!
To start this loaf cake, we first need to mix our wet ingredients together. Cream the butter and sugar together. Then, add the egg. Once that’s mixed, add the milk, vanilla, and whiskey.
In another bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder together. Add the mixture into the wet ingredients just until combined.
If you find that the batter is a bit too thick to work with, you can add a little more milk at a time, as needed.
Now, we’re going to fold in the chocolate chips and spoon the batter into a greased loaf pan.
Bake the loaf cake in the oven for about an hour at 350 degrees. Remove from the oven and allow the loaf cake to cool.
Once the loaf cake is cool, spread chocolate frosting on top. If desired, add green St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles on top.
Cut the cake into slices and serve.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk, plus more as needed
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2-3 tbsp. whiskey
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chocolate frosting
- Optional: green St. Patrick's Day sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the egg into the mixture and mix until combined.
- Then, add the milk, vanilla, and whiskey.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and pinch of salt.
- Add the cocoa mixture to the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. If the batter is a bit too thick to work with, add a little milk at a time. Then, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake for an hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the loaf.
- Allow the loaf to cool completely. Then, spread a layer of chocolate frosting on top.
- If desired, add green sprinkles on top.
- Cut into slices and serve.
If you’re looking for an easy St. Patrick’s Day dessert to serve after your holiday dinner, whip up this Chocolate Whiskey Loaf Cake! Enjoy a slice with an Irish coffee!
Did you make this Chocolate Whiskey Loaf Cake recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER