This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Spice up squash season with these Chorizo Stuffed Delicata Squash Rings! This dish is so easy to prepare and packs a lot of flavor in every delicious bite!
Every once in a while, I get the urge to go to Trader Joe’s just to wander around the store and see what I can find (and, usually, I find a lot). That’s how I discovered delicata squash a couple years ago. I’ve found some pretty cool produce at TJ’s throughout the year that I probably wouldn’t have purchased otherwise. As a squash loving gal, fall produce is some of my favorite! I carefully read the tag displayed by the delicata squash bin and picked one up for under two dollars.
That delicata squash started a whole new love affair with fall produce. If you’ve never had delicata squash before, it has a sweet, almost pumpkin-like flavor with a creamy texture. The skin is thin and edible, making it so easy to prepare! The first time I made delicata squash, I hollowed it out, cut it into crescent shapes, then roasted it with garlic, herbs, and lots of Parmesan cheese. It’s still one of my favorite ways to prepare it!
I recently started to use ground chorizo in a lot of my cooking. Honestly, what took me so long? As spicy food lovers, I can’t believe our freezer isn’t stocked with it! It’s mild in heat and packs a lot of flavor! The slight heat from the chorizo and the sweetness from the delicata squash seemed like a perfect match for a fall dish. So I got to work on stuffing my delicata squash with ground chorizo and a few other simple, but flavorful ingredients.
Just like other squashes, you can hollow out delicata squash and stuff it as a squash boat. But I always prefer to cut delicata squash into rings as a delicious fall side dish. The fun part about this recipe is that it can either be a fall appetizer, side, or a meal. How you use it is totally up to you! I served it as a lunch with leftovers for the next day. You might even consider it a low-carb Taco Tuesday alternative and serve it with a splash of hot sauce!
- 1 delicata squash, washed with seeds removed and hollowed out in the middle
- 1/2 lb, or 1/2 package Hatfield ground chorizo
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried cilantro
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1-2 green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- While the oven is heating, brown the chorizo in a pan. Drain and add the onion and garlic.
- Continue to cook just until the onion and garlic have softened and become fragrant.
- Cut the hollowed out delicata squash into rings.
- Spoon the chorizo mixture into the center of each delicata squash ring and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the squash has softened and the edges have started to brown.
- Sprinkle shredded Monterey Jack cheese and green onions on top and serve.
In case you’re keeping track of your calendar, Thanksgiving is less than a month away! These squash rings would definitely add a little non-traditional flavor to your holiday menu! This dish is super easy to prepare and one delicata squash can provide a pretty decent appetizer for a small crowd (in my family, I’d double the dish).
Keep this recipe handy the next time you’re looking to spice up your fall menu! It’s an easy dish to prepare that packs a lot of flavor in every bite! Plus, it’s a seriously cheap eat and who doesn’t love that?
Have you tried delicata squash before?
PIN FOR LATER