These Cocoa Krispies S’mores Birds Nests are a fun and easy Easter treat with all of the delicious, ooey-gooey flavor of classic S’mores!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
S’mores are some of my favorite treats! I mean, you can’t go wrong with ooey-gooey marshmallow smothering a layer of chocolate and sandwiched between crunchy graham crackers. Especially when they’re made over an open flame! Last year for my birthday, my husband asked me if I wanted a cake. I said, “Nope. I just want to make S’mores.” And so we did!
I’ve been so obsessed with Peeps this Easter season that I may have gone a little overboard buying them. So to celebrate the upcoming Easter holiday, I thought I would put some of my Peeps to good use in Easter S’mores treats! Traditional Easter birds nests are made with chow mein noodles. I wasn’t sure many people in my family would eat them, so I thought about other ways to make bird nest treats. That’s when I thought about making a Rice Krispie version.
Rice Krispie Treats are classic! In order to give them the flavor of S’mores, I used Cocoa Krispies. All that was left was finding a way to incorporate the graham cracker. Once the S’mores nests were formed, I sprinkled graham cracker crumbs on top. Instead of candy eggs or jelly beans, I used a Peeps chick in the middle of my nests. A simple Easter treat to satisfy my S’mores craving!
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 - 10 oz. bag mini marshmallows
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies
- 1-2 packages Peeps marshmallow chicks
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Prepare two large muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over a low flame. Add marshmallows and stir until smooth.
- Remove pot from stovetop and stir in Cocoa Krispies. Allow to cool for a few minutes or until no longer warm to the touch.
- Spoon Cocoa Krispie mixture equally into each section of the muffin tins. Push down gently with your fingers and create a well in the middle.
- Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over the top of each treat. Gently press crumbs down with your fingertips.
- Place a Peeps chick in the middle of each "nest" and serve!
- Spray fingertips with cooking spray when pressing the Cocoa Krispie treats into the muffin pan. No more sticky mess!
This recipe made a little over a dozen birds nests for me. The amount of birds nests you make depends on how much of the Cocoa Krispies mixture is added into the muffin tin. Use whatever Peeps shape you wish in the middle of these nests. These would be fantastic with the chocolate-filled Peeps Delights!
Hang onto this recipe after the Easter holiday for a tasty twist on classic Rice Krispie Treats. Instead of pushing the Cocoa Krispie mixture into a muffin pan, spread it into a 9×13 inch pan. Sprinkle graham cracker crumbs over the top of the Cocoa Krispie Treats and cut into squares before serving!
PIN FOR LATER