We’re quickly heading into the holiday season and I’ve made myself a promise this year. I’m not going to let myself get overwhelmed with work to the point where I stop enjoying the things I love most about the holidays. Things like baking up a storm each night while listening to Christmas music.
The past two years, I haven’t bothered making my usual holiday baking list. I’ve hardly listened to some of my favorite Christmas albums. In fact, when family members requested some of their favorite holiday cookies, I sent them the recipe instead. Bah humbug! This year, even if I don’t get to make all of my holiday favorites, I still plan on making a few batches of cookies!
Pumpkin seems to take all of the attention in baked goods this time of year. As much as I love pumpkin, I also love adding cranberries to my holiday recipes! They add a slightly tart flavor to sweets and festive color, too. So I recently tried something new and worked Pepperidge Farm® Puff Pastry into a Cranberry Walnut Pinwheel recipe that’s perfect for the holidays.
Most of the Puff Pastry pinwheel recipes I’ve seen are made with savory fillings. I wanted to take inspiration from my holiday cookie list and make a sweet and flaky pinwheel. These pinwheels bake into a flaky, golden cookie-like treat. Need a new recipe for your holiday cookie exchange this year? This is it!
This recipe starts with a sheet of Puff Pastry that gets brushed with a sweet brown sugar and cinnamon mixture. Then, it’s rolled up with dried cranberries and walnuts for a bit of tartness and added crunch. These pinwheels are an easy slice and bake recipe. The prep is simple and they only take 15 minutes to bake!
- 1 Puff Pastry Sheet, thawed
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 c. shelled walnuts, broken into small pieces
- 1/2 c. dried cranberries
- Powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare two baking sheets with foil and non-stick cooking spray.
- Carefully roll out the Puff Pastry Sheet onto a lightly floured surface.
- In a small bowl, stir together the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the butter mixture onto the Puff Pastry Sheet.
- Next, evenly spread the walnuts onto the Puff Pastry Sheet.
- Spread the dried cranberries evenly on top of the walnuts.
- Carefully begin to roll up the Puff Pastry Sheet.
- Wrap with plastic wrap and stick in the freezer for 30-45 minutes, or until firm.
- Remove the rolled up Puff Pastry Sheet from the freezer and cut it into slices.
- Place pinwheels onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow pinwheels to cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.
- If you're not serving these right away, store pinwheels in an airtight container.
I am all about taking baking shortcuts during the holiday season! Especially when I have so many cookie tins and trays to fill! Using Puff Pastry Sheets cuts down on prep time. So while you’re turning on the holiday tunes this Christmas, get #InspiredByPuff!
This batch of Puff Pastry Cranberry Walnut Pinwheels will be long gone before I turn on the holiday tunes and give my oven quite a workout. But they’ll definitely be a part of my holiday baking menu this season!
Want even more holiday baking inspiration? Check out these Puff Pastry holiday recipes and the Puff Pastry Pinterest board! Looking for a savory Puff Pastry appetizer to serve? Check out my Shrimp Ceviche Cups recipe!
PIN FOR LATER