I was provided product samples free of charge from Oriental Trading in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was provided for this post.
Once upon a time, I had an Etsy shop. I tried selling graphic art prints, candles, and some ornaments. The graphic art prints were hot for a little while, but sales were very short-lived. I had a little success from candle and wax tart sales (including a large order from a boutique), but then the sales started to dwindle in that category, too. My handmade ornaments looked pretty, but I never made one single sale on them. Ultimately, my little Etsy shop was closed after a year and I once again focused on making my DIY projects for pleasure not profit.
One of the ornaments I had listed in my shop were these adorable cupcake ornaments. Made with a Styrofoam ball, a cupcake liner, and lots of glitter, they’re super fun to make and look adorable hanging from the Christmas tree! If you have littles at home on holiday recess, these ornaments are a great kid-friendly project, too! And if you’re like me and buy more cupcake liners that you can use, these ornaments give them a whole new purpose!
- Cupcake liner
- Styrofoam ball
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Iridescent glitter
- Red pom-pom
- Ornament hook
- Holiday Stickles™ Glitter Glue Set
- Hot glue gun
- Baker’s twine
- Plastic or disposable bowl
- Heat your hot glue gun. Then, glue a Styrofoam ball into a cupcake liner.
- Fill a plastic bowl with a little iridescent glitter. Using a foam brush, add Mod Podge to the surface of the Styrofoam ball.
- Dip the ball into the glitter, making sure to cover the entire surface. Shake off excess glitter and allow glue to dry.
- Add hot glue to the end of an ornament hook. Then, push the hook into the top of the Styrofoam ball.
- Glue a red pom-pom onto the top of the ball.
- Add “sprinkles” with red and green glitter glue.
- Allow the glitter glue to dry completely. Then, hang the cupcake ornament with baker’s twine.
These cupcake ornaments make a perfect handmade gift for the baker or cupcake lover on your holiday list! You might have some of the supplies to create this project already in your home. Find the rest of the supplies needed to create this easy holiday DIY on Oriental Trading!
PIN FOR LATER