This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog. “Tasty: Latest and Greatest” was provided to me in exchange for this post. All opinions are my own.
I don’t know about you, but most of the posts that I save on Facebook are recipe videos – and most of those videos come from Tasty. So when I saw there was a Tasty cookbook, I knew I had to have it in my collection! I mean, I’m all about watching those fun, fast motion, food videos. But it’s so much easier to cook from a book. At least I think printed pages are a lot easier to follow. As soon as I cracked the spine of this cookbook, I said to my husband, “Hey mister! Maybe you should review this one for me!”
The first recipe I flipped to was for Buffalo Mozzarella Sticks. If that’s not a recipe my husband would love, I don’t know what is! In fact, he was in the other room and I was shouting at recipes to him as I flipped through the cookbook. There are so many that I think we both would love! Of course, I would describe most of the recipes in this book as “weekend food.” It’s the type of food that – if you’re like me and trying to eat better – is better suited for a cheat day or weekend.
I decided to make the Tortilla Dessert Cups first. We always have flour tortillas in the house. They’re great for Taco Tuesday dinners, making wraps, and now dessert! The original recipe for these dessert cups calls for butter, cinnamon, and sugar for the outside of the cups. I wanted to put a healthier spin on this dessert, so I used coconut oil, cinnamon, and natural sweetener instead. The homemade whipped cream is made with heavy cream in the original recipe. I used whipping cream to make a fluffier whipped cream filling for these cups.
As the tortilla cups were baking, my kitchen filled with an amazing scent that reminded me of baklava. That’s totally thanks to the honey and cinnamon combo I had going on in my oven! The original recipe layers two tortilla triangles (you’ll be cutting each tortilla into quarters). I found that three made a better cup. The layers were also fun to pull apart and scoop up the whipped cream and berries! Oh, and those tortilla cups totally taste like Cinnamon Toast Crunch to me. So good! I’m loving this dessert!
- 3 small flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, melted
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp. natural sweetener, like Truvia
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Fresh berries like blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries
- Optional: cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the tortillas into quarters with a pizza slicer.
- In a small bowl, mix coconut oil and honey together until combined.
- Brush each tortilla side with the coconut oil mixture. Then, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Press three triangles in a muffin pan to form a cup.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then, remove from pan and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, add the whipping cream, sweetener, and vanilla. Beat until small peaks form.
- Spoon or pipe whipped cream into each tortilla cup.
- Top whipped cream with fresh berries.
- Sprinkle cocoa powder on top, if desired.
- Pro tip: For an even healthier version of this recipe, use yogurt instead of whipped cream.
Let me tell you, I cannot wait to make these again in the summer with fresh raspberries, strawberries, and blackberries straight from the garden! Of course, I might be a little indulgent and add a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, too! Oh yeah. I went there! But for now, they’re a nice dessert to enjoy without feeling the “oh why did I eat that?” post-dessert guilt!
This entire cookbook is pretty bomb dot com! There are definitely some novelty type of recipes like a colorful unicorn cake topped with ice cream cones and lollipops. Not exactly the kind of thing you’ll be making all the time unless you’re Rainbow Brite. But there are definitely some goodies in there! Especially if you’re a fan of the Facebook videos!
PIN FOR LATER