Create a DIY stepping stone to commemorate a special date in your life – like the stepping stone we made for our wedding anniversary!
I was provided product samples free of charge from Oriental Trading in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was provided for this post.
Today marks our third wedding anniversary. Instead of writing up the typical anniversary post about love and marriage (feel free to read some of our wedding stories here), I’m doing something a little different this year. I decided that for our anniversary, we would create a DIY project together. It was quick and easy, but it’s always nice to have my husband’s help on a project.
As you may know, our backyard is our favorite place to enjoy during the Summer. If we’re not tending to the garden, you can find my husband in the garage, or you can find me hanging out on the deck. Since concrete is very popular among DIY bloggers, I thought it was about time that I worked with it. So I created a stepping stone for the garden with the help of my husband.
We mixed up a bag of concrete with water, poured it into a plastic mold, and personalized it to commemorate our wedding anniversary. Now, our garden is embellished with a stepping stone that not only represents a very special date in our lives, but is something that we created together.
- 3.5lb. concrete stepping stone mix, or stepping stone kit
- 8″ square plastic mold
- Glass gems, or other embellishments
- 1 mixing stick
- 1 craft stick
- Pour concrete mix into a plastic bucket or tub.
- Stir in 1 cup of water. Keep adding water by the teaspoonful until mixture resembles cookie batter. Make sure all of the dry mix has been combined.
- Place your square plastic mold onto a table or board. Pour your batter into the mold.
- Use the mixing stick to smooth the surface. Then, hold two corners of the mold and jiggle back and forth until mix evens out.
- Use glass gems to create the initial of your last name in the center of the mold.
- Using a craft stick, have your spouse write their name in the mold. Follow by writing your name.
- Add other personal touches like the year you got married, etc.
- Allow your mold to harden for 24 hours.
- Carefully remove your stepping stone from the mold.
- Display and enjoy your personalized stepping stone, created with love, together!
As we step into another year of marriage, it will be nice to remember our wedding every time we look down at this stepping stone.