I must admit that I’ve had this DIY idea written down and ready to be made for months now! Thanks to my succulent and cactus obsession, I’ve come to realize how many different shapes and sizes these unique plants are available in. Some are so odd in shape that they’re perfect for Halloween decorating!
I recently bought a cactus that looks like it has spiderwebs all over it (I’m still not exactly sure what that’s about). So I decided to make a Halloween planter out of a paper mache skull. I carefully cut the top of the skull off, then spray painted the skull and a small terra cotta pot. The cactus got repotted into my spray painted pot, then placed into the skull. I added a plastic spider on top of the cactus for an extra creepy touch.
- Desert Bisque Rust-oleum spray paint
- Paper mache skull
- 3″ terra cotta pot
- Small cactus plant
- Plastic spider
1. Carefully cut out the top of a paper mache skull.
2. Spray paint the skull and pot the same color. Allow to dry completely.
3. Plant a cactus in your pot (I got a cool cactus that looked like it had spiderwebs growing on it).
4. Place your potted cactus into the skull.
5. Add a plastic spider onto the cactus for a spooky Halloween touch.
I definitely recommend using textured spray paint. The Rust-oleum textured spray paint I used almost makes the skull planter look like stone.
While this planter gave me another excuse to go out and buy another cactus, I really love the way it looks with the rest of my Halloween decor. It’s like a haunted mansion houseplant!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support this blog.