This Easy Eggplant Breakfast Hash is a delicious skillet dish and a great way to use up that eggplant that’s been sitting in your fridge!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
We’ve been growing eggplant in our garden for the past few years. Last year wasn’t the best year for eggplant, but previous years have provided us with more eggplant than we knew what to do with it! I mean, there’s only so much eggplant Parmesan you can enjoy!
So I started incorporating our eggplant into stir-fries, sauces, and even my breakfast. In fact, I ended up eating it for breakfast a lot because I became really fond of making a breakfast hash with it. Think Potatoes O’Brien, but with eggplant!
Basically, what I did was dice up the eggplant and cooked it in a skillet along with onion, bell pepper, and seasonings. It all gets cooked in one pan so it’s easy peasy! And when it’s all done, you can top it with an egg or enjoy it on its own!
Easy Eggplant Breakfast Hash
Have eggplant in the house and don’t know what to do with it? Try making this Easy Eggplant Breakfast Hash! It’s a delicious way to start your day with something a little different!
The first thing we need to do is dice up our eggplant. Leaving the skin on is up to you, but I prefer to cut it off. Then, I generously salt the eggplant to draw out some of the moisture.
Leave the eggplant in a colander over the sink. After 30 minutes, give it a quick rinse under cold water and let the eggplant dry.
Now, we’re going to heat up a skillet with olive oil. Get it nice and hot and add the onion, cooking it over medium heat until it starts to soften.
Then, add the eggplant. I like to cook it until it’s brown around the edges.
Once the eggplant is close to done, add the bell peppers and spices. Cook until the peppers softened.
Serve this hash on its own or with a fried egg on top! I also suggest a splash of hot sauce!
- 4 cups eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Generously salt the eggplant and place it in a colander over the sink. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes, then rinse it with cold water. Allow it to dry.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook just until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the eggplant to the skillet and cook until it's softened and browned around the edges. If necessary, add more olive oil to the skillet.
- Add the bell peppers and spices to the skillet. Continue cooking until the peppers have softened.
- Serve the hash immediately. If desired, add a fried egg on top.
This breakfast hash has totally become one of my favorite ways to cook eggplant! It’s an easy, one pan dish that’s a delicious way to start the day!
Did you make this Easy Eggplant Breakfast Hash recipe? Share your pics on Instagram using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER