Create this wicked cute Witch’s House Rules Halloween Reverse Canvas using dollar store canvas, a little paint, and iron-on vinyl!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Now that it’s September, I feel like I can slowly start to inch my way into Halloween projects. Oh, who am I kidding? If you’ve been following me on social media, then you know I’ve been Halloween crafting since July! But now I can actually share some projects here on my site without feeling totally out of season.
A few weeks ago, I did a big clean up and organized our home office. I went through a bunch of craft storage, got rid of supplies, and made plans for some of the supplies that I had. I found a couple sets of canvas left over from reverse canvas projects I had worked on and was immediately inspired to make reverse canvas art for Halloween!
So here we go! We’re kicking off official Halloween crafting with an easy reverse canvas project. Just like my St. Patrick’s Day reverse canvas, we’re going to use canvases from the dollar store and iron-on vinyl to create some adorable art for spooky season!
For this reverse canvas art project, I was inspired by an ad for a “Witch House Rules” wall plaque. It was cute, but a bit too simple for my liking. So I designed my own “Witch Rules” in Design Space with an extra witchy touch!
Witch’s House Rules Halloween Reverse Canvas
This wickedly easy Halloween canvas art project comes together in just a few steps. Just prepare the canvas, cut the iron-on vinyl, iron it onto the canvas, and attach the wooden frame. After that, it’s up to you whether you want to hang it or display it on a shelf!
The first thing we need to do is prepare our canvas. Unwrap a stretched canvas and a canvas board. Then, tear the canvas off of the stretched canvas. We’re going to be using the wood frame only.
Use a matte black paint or chalkboard spray paint to paint the wooden frame. Set it aside to dry completely.
Then, open up the Witch’s House Rules Halloween Reverse Canvas file in Design Space. Resize it, if necessary, to fit the canvas. Then, follow the prompts to cut the design. Make sure you mirror it!
Weed the design and position it onto the canvas. If desired, add some heat resistant tape to secure it in place. Then, heat the EasyPress Mini to medium.
Press the design in sections for about 30 seconds each. Once the vinyl is cool to the touch, remove the clear film.
Now, we’re going to nail the frame into place. Hammer 4 small nails or thumb tacks into the back corners of the canvas board. If you notice any excess canvas sticking outside the wooden frame, use an X-ACTO knife to trim it.
Finally, add picture hanging hardware to the back of the canvas if you’re going to hang it. Then, you’re all done! You can hang or display your witchy new wall art!
- 8″x10″ stretched canvas
- 8″x10″ canvas board
- Black chalkboard spray paint
- Cricut Maker
- Witch’s House Rules Halloween Reverse Canvas design file
- StandardGrip Mat
- Black iron-on vinyl
- Weeding tools
- Heat Resistant Tape
- EasyPress Mini
- 4 – 1/2″ nails, or thumb tacks
- Optional: X-ACTO knife, sawtooth picture hanger
To prepare the canvas frame:
- Remove the stretched canvas from the frame. Save the canvas for another project or discard.
- Spray paint the front and sides of the frame and allow to dry.
- While the paint is drying, create the canvas art using Cricut Design Space.
To create the Witch’s House Rules art:
- Open the design file in Design Space.
- Resize the image, if necessary. Then, prepare the StandardGrip mat with black iron-on vinyl.
- Don’t forget to mirror the image! Then, follow the prompts on screen to cut the design.
- Weed the design. Then, position the vinyl onto the canvas board and secure with Heat Resistant Tape.
- Heat the EasyPress Mini to medium.
- Then, press the design onto the canvas using gentle pressure for 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove the clear film off of the design once it’s cool to the touch.
- Attach the canvas to the back of the frame using 1/2″ nails or thumb tacks. If necessary, use an X-ACTO knife to trim an excess canvas that sticks out from the frame.
- If hanging, attach a sawtooth hanger to the back of the canvas. Then, display your new Halloween wall art!
If you’re not into creepy decor, this reverse canvas art will add a touch of Halloween fun to your home this spooky season, whether it’s hung on a wall or displayed with other decorations!
Did you make this Witch’s House Rules Halloween Reverse Canvas project? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidadiy. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER