These Healthy Banana Bread Bites are part banana bread, part chocolate chip cookie, but better for you!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support my blog.
This week’s Maker’s Mix-Up theme is HEALTHY. I couldn’t decide whether I wanted to make a healthy banana bread or healthy chocolate chip cookies. I had a craving for both! I was going to cure my craving for chocolate chip cookies by sneaking a few from the package in our snack drawer the other night. Instead, I decided to jump on Pinterest and look for a healthier recipe to avoid the guilt of having one too many cookies. I combined both of my recent cravings to make Healthy Banana Bread Bites!
My house has recently become stocked with lots of healthy ingredients. I must admit that most of these ingredients are for my dog. I bought organic coconut oil for his skin and coat, coconut flour to make him homemade grain-free treats, and I recently purchased carob chips as a pet-friendly alternative to chocolate chips (he’s definitely spoiled!). These ingredients came in very handy to make this recipe!
You might be disappointed if you’re expecting carob to taste exactly like chocolate. Sorry. It doesn’t. But it does lend its own sweetness and kinda-sorta-not-really chocolate flavor to baked goods. I promise you, with all of the banana flavor and sweetness, you won’t be able to tell the difference in this Banana Bread Bites recipe! If you don’t believe me, you can substitute dark chocolate or semi-sweet morsels for the carob chips.
I adapted the recipe I found by changing some of the measurements, adding additional ingredients and extending the bake time. I was honestly surprised that I didn’t ruin a healthy recipe! I was even more surprised when these Banana Bread Bites didn’t crumble (as I’ve had some baked goods do when using white flour alternatives). They were nice and moist and full of flavor! I popped two in my mouth straight from the oven and didn’t feel guilty about a thing!
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 4 tbsp. brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (or wheat flour)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup carob chips
- 1 small banana, mashed
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large bowl, combine vanilla extract, egg, brown sugar, and melted coconut oil.
- Stir in coconut and all-purpose flour, baking soda, and cinnamon just until combined.
- Add mashed banana and incorporate into flour mixture. Fold in carob chips.
- Roll mixture into tablespoon sized rounds and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Slightly flatten rolled mixture using your hands.
- Bake bites for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!
- Store Banana Bread Bites in an airtight container.