When I worked full-time in an office, it was so easy to get my morning or afternoon Starbucks fix. It was right down the street in a hotel lobby. Some mornings, I would even stop for breakfast. Their egg white, spinach, and feta wrap is my absolute favorite breakfast offering. However, when a taste for something sweeter hits, I love their dried fruit and nut medley oatmeal.
It’s been a while since I’ve stopped into Starbucks for anything more than a grande cup of coffee. Cleaning out our kitchen cabinets recently made me discover a container of oatmeal we needed to use. That’s when I once again thought about that fruit and nut combo I loved so much. It was a mix of dried cranberries, golden raisins, some nuts, and brown sugar. So delicious!
I decided to take inspiration from that fruit and nut medley and make some healthy oatmeal breakfast bars. Since I start my week with whole grains, it would be easy to grab one of these bars and go ahead with the rest of my morning.
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup unsalted, shelled sunflower seeds (you can also sub in nuts or other seeds of your choice)
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350º and prepare a 9x9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a mixer, add mashed bananas and old fashioned oats. Mix until combined.
- Add raisins, cranberries, and seeds. Stir in brown sugar.
- Spread oatmeal mixture evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until edges are golden brown.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars.
These breakfast bars are soft in texture and slightly chewy – kind of like banana bread! I love the combination of tart cranberries, sweet golden raisins, and the unexpected crunch of the sunflower seeds.
These oatmeal bars are definitely a delicious way to start the morning! I cut these into eight large bars (about the size of granola bars). You can cut them into squares, if you’d like, to make a snack-size portion.
PIN FOR LATER