I was provided product samples free of charge from Oriental Trading in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation was provided for this post.
How many times do you go into a store, see something and think, “Hey! I could make that?” This happens more times than I can count these days while I’m out shopping! Usually I’ll snap a pic of the item and get to work on my new DIY project when I get home.
The same thing happened with the new Hearth and Hand™ collection from Target. It’s Target’s current collaboration with Magnolia including items for the family, home, holidays, and more. I ordered a few small things from the collection, but there was one item that I knew I could make myself – their “Glass Vase with Tree.”
It’s a glass jug vase with a galvanized bottom. Inside of it stands an artificial pine tree with snow on the bottom. I loved its simplicity and how it doesn’t scream “Christmas,” so you could leave it out all winter long. So I got to work on my own version with some items I had from Oriental Trading.
The first thing you want to do is tape off about an inch or two on the bottom of the vase. Then, cover the rest of the vase with tape to avoid getting any spray paint on it. Once it’s dry, you can remove the tape and clean up the spray painted edge, if necessary. Before completing my vase, I cleaned up the vase inside and out with glass cleaner.
The silver hammered spray paint gives the bottom of the vase a galvanized look and a lot of rustic charm. It’s such a simple look, but the snowy touches make it such a beautiful winter scene. If you’re dreaming of a farmhouse Christmas, you need to add this DIY project into your holiday decor this year!
The “Glass Vase with Tree” is 20 dollars on Target’s website. My version costs less than 10 dollars to make! It might not have the Magnolia name on it, but it’s still adorable farmhouse decor to brighten up your home this holiday season!
- Hurricane Glass Vase
- Silver Hammered Finish spray paint
- Painter’s tape
- Craft Snow
- Hot glue gun
- 6″ green bottle brush tree
- Tape off an inch or two up from the bottom of the vase. Then, continue taping the rest of the vase to protect it from the spray paint.
- Next, spray paint the bottom of the vase with Silver Hammered Finish spray paint. Allow the paint to dry completely overnight.
- When the paint is dry, remove the tape from the vase. Clean up the edge, if necessary, with a cotton swab and nail polish remover.
- Add a little craft snow to the bottom of the vase. Use your finger to make a well in the center of the snow.
- Heat a hot glue gun and add glue to the bottom of the tree.
- Place the tree into the center of the snow and allow glue to dry completely.
- Display your new holiday decor!
If you like this terrarium project, check out more winter and holiday craft inspiration on Oriental Trading! You can find most of the items you need to complete this project (like the hurricane vase and the craft snow) on their website, as well.
PIN FOR LATER