This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
July is National Ice Cream Month! Celebrate with these classic Sheet Pan Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches! No ice cream truck required!
Let me just say something about this recipe. The level of commitment that I devoted to finishing this post was up there! I’m not at all thrilled with my photos. I thought about scrapping this entire post and just being done with it.
The day I made these ice cream sandwiches, I was dealing with really bad thunderstorms and a terrified dog. We were in the middle of a disgusting heatwave and even while working in front of an air conditioner (I thought I was being clever), I couldn’t keep the ice cream sandwiches from melting! And just when I thought I’d get to wrap up this post, another storm popped up. That’s summer for you!
Now, you’ll probably have to cut some time out of your afternoon to make these ice cream sandwiches, but hopefully not as much as I did!
It all starts with a homemade sheet pan chocolate chip cookie. I basically doubled the recipe for my skillet chocolate chip cookie. The reason I like that recipe so much is that it has just the right amount of cinnamon in it to make it a great cookie. But that’s not all! I add pecans to my recipe for a little extra crunch! I’m not going to brag (oh, I totally am), but my chocolate chip cookie recipe is pretty damn awesome!
So I figured that I could make it even better with ice cream! When the sheet pan cookie was completely cooled, I cut it right down the middle. Then, I spread French Vanilla ice cream on top of one cookie half. I placed the other cookie half on top and stuck it in the freezer. At this point, you have a crazy big ice cream sandwich! Give it at least a half hour in the freezer. Then, cut them into bars.
I mean, these are big, thick ice cream sandwiches. There’s no doubt about it! They’re pretty messy, too. Well, the hotter it is, the messier they’ll be, but it’s so worth it! The combination of flavors is classic. It’s a grown up ice cream sandwich. No ice cream truck required!
- Vegetable shortening, for greasing
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup semi-sweet NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Morsels
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
- 1.5 quart French Vanilla ice cream. slightly softened
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9x13 pan with vegetable shortening.
- In a large bowl, add softened butter and sugars. Beat until fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla to the sugar mixture and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Gradually beat in dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips and chopped pecans.
- Press cookie dough into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until edges of the cookie are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean from the center.
- Allow cookie to cool. Then, cut the cookie right down the middle.
- Spread ice cream over one half, then top with the other.
- Place back into the freezer for at least 30 minutes. Then, cut into bars.
- Serve immediately or wrap sandwiches and freeze.
By the time I was done whipping these up, I had ice cream dripping all over the place, including myself. I was ready to shove them in the freezer and forget about them. Then, I took a bite – a glorious bite – and it made up for everything else!
Pictures can be retaken, I ended up with a humorous story to share, and a batch of delicious ice cream sandwiches. Despite the chaotic afternoon I had making these ice cream sandwiches, I can honestly say that they were SO worth it!
PIN FOR LATER