Thank you to ShopRite’s Wholesome Pantry for providing me with grilling samples in exchange for this post. No other compensation has been received. All opinions are 100% my own.
Make the most of grilling season with an Herb & Garlic marinated Italian chicken sandwich that will have your taste buds saying, “molto bene!”
We’re only a week away from celebrating Labor Day! How is it the unofficial end to summer already? I have to be honest with you – I’m not too sad to say good-bye to summer this year. I feel like it’s been super rainy and humid for most of the summer. There’s nothing enjoyable about that! Last week, we had a nice break from the heat with some Fall-like weather and it has me so ready!
I’m excited to break out my sweaters and boots, and enjoy chilly weather! Even though I’m 100 percent excited for Fall, that doesn’t mean I’m ready to give up grilling season yet. Then again, in this house, grilling season happens all year ’round. As long as the weather is nice, we’ll be cooking outside! And, actually, we’ve even grilled in the snow before! We’re pretty dedicated to good meals and grill marks!
Shop for everything you need for the ultimate Labor Day barbecue at ShopRite!
So I was really excited when ShopRite sent over some grilling items from their Wholesome Pantry line! They sent me Wholesome Pantry Organic Herb & Garlic Marinade, Wholesome Pantry Organic Teriyaki Marinade, Wholesome Pantry Organic Tomato Ketchup, some tips from ShopRite Chef Richard Giacalone, and a gift card to shop for ingredients to make a delicious BBQ recipe!
These are all affordable, USDA-certified organic products. That’s what I love about ShopRite’s Wholesome Pantry line. It doesn’t cost us a bundle to eat organic! And I know I’m getting quality ingredients to cook wholesome meals for my family. It’s a total win!
The minute I received the Wholesome Pantry Organic Herb & Garlic Marinade, I knew I wanted to make a grilled chicken sandwich. I don’t know about you, but I love a good sandwich! I’m talking a sandwich stacked so high that you need a toothpick to hold it together! Whether it’s a fun weeknight eat or a meal to win over a crowd, you can’t go wrong with a big, loaded sandwich!
At my very first full-time job, we used to order lunch from an Italian deli. One of my favorite things to order was an Italian chicken sandwich. It was made with breaded chicken and topped with roasted red peppers and fresh mozzarella. So I took inspiration from that sandwich to make this grilled sandwich.
Bold, Italian flavor in every bite!
First, I marinaded the chicken in Wholesome Pantry Organic Herb & Garlic Marinade. Then, I sauteed some broccoli rabe to use as my greens. Once the chicken and broccoli rabe were cooked, I started assembling my sandwich.
Toast your sub rolls, then layer on the broccoli rabe, grilled chicken, a slice of prosciutto, roasted red pepper, and fresh mozzarella. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired, and you’ve got yourself a completely satisfying and delicious Italian sandwich!
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: red pepper flakes
- Wholesome Pantry Wheat Sub Rolls
- 1 - approx. 1 lb. package of Wholesome Pantry thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Wholesome Pantry Herb & Garlic Marinade
- Fresh mozzarella
- Roasted red peppers
- Prosciutto slices
- Balsamic vinegar
- Trim about 1-2 inches off of the broccoli rabe stems.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli rabe and cook for about a minute.
- Immediately place the boiled broccoli rabe into a bowl of ice water.
- Allow to cool completely, drain, and dry.
- Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to a large skillet.
- When heated, add the garlic, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook just until the garlic starts to brown and add the broccoli rabe.
- Continue to cook, tossing the broccoli rabe is heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside to serve with sandwiches.
- Marinate chicken with Wholesome Pantry Herb & Garlic Marinade for at least four hours (overnight is best).
- Heat the grill on medium. Once heated, place the chicken breasts directly onto the grill.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes, or until completely cooked through.
- Cut the sub rolls in half and place them open on the grill for about 1-2 minutes or until toasted.
- Begin assembling your sandwich by adding broccoli rabe on the roll.
- Continue with a chicken breast, followed by a slice of prosciutto, roasted red pepper, and fresh mozzarella slices
- Serve with balsamic vinegar and extra broccoli rabe.
With Labor Day weekend coming up, this sandwich is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your barbecue! There’s lots of bold, Italian flavors happening between that toasted sub roll!
If you’re not a fan of broccoli rabe, use spinach instead for a less bitter flavor. And don’t forget to pick up Wholesome Pantry Herb & Garlic Marinade at ShopRite!
PIN FOR LATER