If you like a loaded Italian sub from the deli, you’ll love this Italian Sub Pasta Salad made with penne, salami, prosciutto, tomato, onion, peppadew peppers, provolone, fresh basil and oregano, and a bottle of red wine vinaigrette!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Most of my pasta salad recipes get created while I’m cleaning out the fridge. This pasta salad started with a stick of dry salami and sliced prosciutto my sister sent me home with after a lunch at her house. Then, I just started pulling other ingredients from the fridge and made quite a delicious salad!
The flavors of this pasta salad remind me of a loaded Italian sub. You know, a variety of meats, cheese, onion, and tomato, with a peppery kick! But instead of bread, there’s pasta. And instead of oil, vinegar, and spices, there’s a bottle of dressing and fresh herbs. Everything else is basically what you’d expect on a loaded Italian sub.
Maybe that’s why this pasta salad was eaten so quickly! One of our usual deli orders is a big Italian sub! We’ve eaten this pasta salad as a side dish and I’ve even had it on its own for lunch (sometimes with a little chopped Romaine lettuce added to it).
Italian Sub Pasta Salad
By now, you probably know that we love pasta salad in our house. And this pasta salad is definitely a new favorite! It’s made with penne pasta, salami, prosciutto, tomato, onion, peppadew peppers, provolone, fresh basil and oregano, and a bottle of red wine vinaigrette.
The first thing we need to do is cook our pasta. Cook it according to package or until it’s al dente. Then, drain, rinse with cold water, allow it to cool, and add it to a large mixing bowl.
Now, we can start chopping our other ingredients. Once everything is chopped, add it to the mixing bowl with the pasta.
Season the pasta with salt and pepper and add the bottle of dressing.
Toss everything to combine and serve or store covered in the fridge.
- 8 oz. penne pasta
- 1 cup salami (stick), chopped
- 4 slices prosciutto, chopped
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup peppadew peppers, chopped
- 1 cup sharp provolone cheese, cubed
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 - 16 fl. oz. bottle red wine vinaigrette, or Italian dressing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta according to package.
- Then, rinse with cold water, allow pasta to cool, and add to a large bowl.
- Add the salami, prosciutto, tomato, onion, peppers, cheese, fresh basil, and fresh oregano to the pasta.
- Pour in the vinaigrette, season with salt and pepper, and stir.
- Serve the pasta salad immediately or chill in the fridge.
- Store up to 5 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
This pasta salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. But if you enjoy it as much as we do, it definitely won’t last that long!
Did you make this Italian Sub Pasta Salad recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER