These Japanese Tofu Tacos with Yuzu Sauce are an easy fusion recipe made with ingredients from Hungryroot like tofu, yuzu sauce, and a medley of crispy vegetables in a crunchy taco shell.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Some people follow home decor, fashion, and color trends at the beginning of the year. Me? I look up food trends! I’m always excited to see what foods and ingredients will be popular throughout the year. And this year, I am not disappointed! A few of the trends I’ve noticed in various articles are hibiscus, plant based foods, urban farming, and yuzu.
What is yuzu?
Up until the end of last year, I had no idea what yuzu was. It’s a tart citrus fruit that’s common in East Asian countries. It kind of looks like a yellow tangerine. My first (and only) experience with yuzu has been an Yuzu Starter Sauce that I got through my Hungryroot box.
The sauce has a citrus umami flavor that I’ve used to flavor stir-fries and noodle dishes. But with yuzu having such a big presence in food trend reports this year, I wanted to make something completely different with this sauce. A fusion taco recipe!
Using ingredients from my Hungryroot box, I’ve created the easiest Japanese Tofu Tacos with Yuzu Sauce. These tacos start with cubes of Organic Firm Tofu tossed in the Yuzu Starter Sauce and sprinkled with sesame seeds.
The tofu is baked and, when ready, added to crispy corn tortilla shells along with shredded Rainbow Veggie Mix, Mini Cucumber slices, and chopped Fresh Scallions. They’re a fresh, new take on tacos with major Japanese inspiration!
Japanese Tofu Tacos with Yuzu Sauce
These tofu tacos are ridiculously easy to make and so flavorful! Start by cutting pressed firm tofu into cubes. Then, toss it with the Yuzu Starter Sauce. Once the tofu is coated, transfer it to a prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through.
While the tofu is baking, make the taco shells. Use tongs to carefully char the corn tortillas over a low flame. As they begin to char, form the tortillas into shells. Then, set aside.
Once the tofu is done and crispy to the touch, start filling the taco shells.
Add a small handful of Rainbow Veggie Mix and tofu to each shell. Then, top with cucumber slices and chopped scallions.
If desired, serve the tacos with lime wedges, chopped fresh cilantro, and Blue Agave Sriracha Hot Sauce.
- 4 White Corn Tortillas
- 1 - 10 oz. block Organic Firm Tofu, pressed and cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 - 1.8 oz. packet Yuzu Starter Sauce
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- Rainbow Veggie Mix
- 1-2 Mini Cucumbers, sliced thin
- Yuzu Starter Sauce
- Fresh Scallions, chopped
- Lime wedges, chopped fresh cilantro, Blue Agave Sriracha Hot Sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the tofu and Yuzu Starter Sauce packet to a mixing bowl and toss to coat the tofu in the sauce.
- Place the tofu onto the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake the tofu for 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. When the tofu is crisp to the touch, remove from oven.
- While the tofu is baking, use tongs to toast the corn tortilla shells over a low flame, forming a taco shell.
- Add Rainbow Veggie Mix and tofu to each taco shell.
- Top with cucumber slices and chopped scallions.
- Serve with lime wedges, chopped fresh cilantro, and Blue Agave Sriracha Hot Sauce, if desired.
To press the tofu: Line a plate with a paper towel. Add the block of tofu to the plate and place another paper towel on top. Place another plate on top of the tofu and place something heavy like a can of food on top. Leave the tofu for 30 minutes, then it can be used in this recipe.
If you’ve added “try new foods” on your list for 2022, give these Japanese Tofu Tacos a try! They’re fresh and flavorful and so easy to make!
Make this Japanese Tofu Tacos with Yuzu Sauce recipe with Hungryroot!
Grab the ingredients to make this recipe and more with Hungryroot! Use my code 30OFF2NFREEBIE at checkout to score 30% off your first two deliveries + get a freebie for life! You can choose from a free veggie, cookie dough, or pasta for the length of your subscription!
Did you make this Japanese Tofu Tacos with Yuzu Sauce recipe? Share your pics on Instagram using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER