This shop has been compensated by Inmar Intelligence and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #mccainquickcookfries #friesfaster
Get ready for hot dog summer with these Easy Grilled Jersey Italian Hot Dogs made with peppers, onions, and crispy McCain® Quick Cook French Fries!
Italian hot dogs are as much of a New Jersey staple as pork roll, disco fries, grease truck sandwiches, and saltwater taffy. This iconic Jersey dish is typically made with a hot dog placed inside a mustard slathered Italian roll and topped with fried bell peppers, onions, and potatoes. It’s one of the best and biggest hot dogs you’ll ever eat!
Even if you’re not from the Garden State, you can enjoy Italian hot dogs at home with this easy recipe. But I’m giving this recipe another Jersey twist. I’m giving these Italian hot dogs a little “grease truck” style (Rutgers University campus food trucks that sold over-the-top sandwiches). Instead of sliced potatoes, I’m topping these hot dogs with McCain Quick Cook Fries, which actually makes this recipe super quick and easy!
Quick and Easy French Fries
Any of the new McCain Quick Cook Fries would work for this recipe, but I used the straight cut fries. They cook in half the time* and there’s no flipping required making them “Faster to Prepare. Easier to Share.” These fries are made with 100% real potatoes and no artificial flavors. They cook in just minutes so you can enjoy a hot-from-the-oven side that’s perfect with grilled foods!
Next time you’re at ACME or your local grocery store, grab a bag (or two, or three) of McCain Quick Cook Fries in the freezer aisle. They’re available in waffle cut, straight cut, and crinkle cut varieties. Click HERE to see where to buy. And click HERE to add McCain Quick Cook Fries to your grocery cart.
A lot of Italian hot dogs are served “double” – two hot dogs in one Italian roll with peppers, onions, and potatoes. We’re making these a “single” – one hot dog in a toasted hot dog bun with peppers, onions, and fries on top. We’re also grilling everything but the fries so cooking and clean up will be a breeze!
Easy Grilled Jersey Italian Hot Dogs
Let’s start by preheating the oven to 425º. Bake the fries according to the package. Cooking times will vary depending on the type of McCain Quick Cook French Fries you’re using. Since I’m using straight cut fries, they cook in about 10-13 minutes.
While the fries are cooking, let’s fire up the grill! Heat the grill to medium-high. Place the peppers and onions in foil (large enough to be folded over), drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
Cover the peppers and onions with the other half of the foil, prick some holes on top, and place the foil packet onto the grill. Shake the foil packet every once in a while so the peppers and onions cook evenly.
Now, place the hot dogs on the grill and brush them with olive oil. Keep rolling the hot dogs so they not only cook evenly, but get nice grill marks on each side. When the hot dogs are just about cooked to your liking, place the buns onto the grill and toast for 1-2 minutes.
Once everything is finished cooking, we can start building our Italian hot dogs! Slather the inside of the buns with mustard and place a hot dog inside each bun. Then, add some of the peppers and onions on one side of the hot dog. Finish the hot dogs with a small handful of fries and serve!
- 1 bag McCain Quick Cook Straight Cut Fries
- 2 medium green bell peppers, sliced into strips
- 1 large onion, sliced into strips
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog buns
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook the fries according to the instructions on the package.
- While the fries are cooking, heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Place the peppers and onions in foil. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then fold the foil into a packet and poke holes in the top to vent.
- Place the hot dogs onto the grill and brush with olive oil. Occasionally roll the hot dogs to cook them evenly.
- Once the hot dogs are cooked, about 5-7 minutes, toast the buns for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the peppers, onions, and hot dogs from the grill and take the fries out of the oven.
- To assemble the Italian hot dogs, slather mustard onto each bun. Then, place a hot dog inside. Add the peppers and onions to one side of the hot dogs. Then, add a small handful of fries to the other side.
- Serve with extra peppers, onions, mustard, and fries, if desired.
A Perfect Side for Grilled Dishes!
Take your grilling to the next level this summer with McCain Quick Cook French Fries. Serve them as a side for grilled favorites or even on top of burgers and hot dogs, like these Italian hot dogs! The whole family will love these quick and easy, fast cooking fries!
*Less oven cook time compared to McCain’s traditional fries.
Did you make this Easy Jersey Italian Hot Dogs recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER