This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
This Low-Carb Zucchini Lasagna is healthy comfort food at its finest. This Keto Diet approved dish uses zoodles to create a vegetarian lasagna that’s a healthier classic to a high-carb pasta favorite.
Who’s Up for Some Low-Carb Comfort Food?
Lasagna is the ultimate comfort food, in my opinion. Layers upon layers of noodles, sauce, and a variety of cheeses – what could be better? Since we’ve been tweaking our eating habits, we’ve been trying to make healthier twists on some of our favorite dishes, like lasagna.
We’ve become big fans of zucchini noodles over the past couple of years. Of course, zucchini makes great zoodles, but it’s also a great, low-carb replacement for lasagna noodles. Just slice the zucchini thin (I recommend using a mandoline slicer) lengthwise and layer them just as you would with lasagna noodles.
Let’s Talk About the Sauce for This Vegetarian Lasagna!
Now that we have our “noodles” ready, let’s talk about making a great sauce. Sure, you can use a jar of your favorite marinara to cut down on time, but I highly recommend making your own tomato sauce. That way, you can control the salt, seasonings, and other ingredients.
I decided to turn this lasagna into the ultimate vegetarian dish by adding more veggies, like mushrooms and baby spinach, into my sauce. Of course, you could always use a lean ground beef or ground turkey to make a classic meat sauce instead.
The cheese mixture is a classic lasagna filling of ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheeses. An egg binds it together so it won’t melt out of your lasagna. Add Italian seasonings and garlic powder for the perfect flavor combination. Then, you can start assembling your lasagna!
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 - 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Splash red wine
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cup baby bella mushrooms, sliced thin
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 2-3 medium zucchini
- 15 oz. part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded low moisture mozzarella cheese + more to top
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook until fragrant and the onion has softened, about two minutes.
- Carefully pour in the can of tomato sauce.
- Add a splash of red wine and stir in the mushrooms and spinach.
- Season with salt and pepper and red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Bring sauce to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- While the sauce is cooking, prepare the lasagna.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Clean the zucchini and cut the ends off. Then, slice thinly with a mandolin or sharp knife.
- In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, and the egg. Season with Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and salt and pepper.
- Add a layer of zoodles to the bottom of a 9x9 pan or your favorite lasagna tray.
- Top with sauce, then ricotta mixture, and repeat until the last layer is sauce.
- Then, top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for about an hour, or until the zucchini noodles have softened and the sauce and cheese is bubbly.
Home Chef Tip: Use low fat or fat free cheeses for an even lighter zucchini lasagna!
Lasagna is one of those dishes that seems to be better when you make it ahead of time. The same holds true for this healthier version. Put this recipe together the night before and cook the next day! Serve it hot and bubbly with a sprinkle of fresh oregano, Parmesan cheese, and a side salad.
If you like this low-carb zucchini lasagna, you might also enjoy my Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash recipe! It’s a healthier twist on a favorite Mexican dish!