This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
These No-Bake Dark Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Bars are the perfect snack for when you’re trying to stay on track with your healthy eating goals, but crave the occasional chocolate treat!
We’re halfway into January and I’ve been doing pretty well with making healthy switches in my diet. But the one thing I can’t manage to shake is the craving for a snack before bed. If you’re like me and have read an abundance of diet/healthy lifestyle books, then you know that the debate about snacking before bed hasn’t quite been settled. Some dietitians say you should cut off eating before a certain time eat night. Other diets have said you should be eating right up until you go to bed to keep your metabolism lit like a fat burning fire.
Now, I’m no expert when it comes to dieting, but I hate going to bed hungry. There’s nothing worse than your growling stomach keeping you awake at night. So I’m all about that “everything in moderation” business. If your stomach is still begging you for a bite after dinner, eat something. Obviously not a full dinner, but a little something-something to stave off the hunger and keep you satisfied.
I feel the same way about cravings. Want pizza? Eat a slice of a pizza (not half a pie). Want chocolate? Eat some damn chocolate! That’s where this recipe comes in.
Okay. Let me just preface this recipe by saying that it’s health-ish. I’m not going to tell you that you can scarf down half a baking dish of these bars just because they’re made with almond butter, coconut flour, and dark chocolate. It goes back to that “everything in moderation” thing. However, these Dark Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Bars are made with simple ingredients that definitely have a few added benefits.
Almond butter has healthy fats in it, which is good for heart health. It’s also full of vitamins and minerals.
Dark chocolate may actually have higher amounts of antioxidants than some fruits! It’s also another heart-healthy food and may lower cholesterol levels. It’s also pretty good for the brain!
Coconut flour is a great, gluten-free substitute. It also may aid in fueling your metabolism and keeping your blood sugar a healthy level. Coconut flour is also high in fiber, so it’s good for digestion.
Oh, and have I mentioned that they’re no-bake? So when that craving for something sweet hits, you can whip up a batch of these bars in no time!
- 1 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 12 oz. dark chocolate chunks, 1/2 cup set aside
- Optional: 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- Coconut oil, to grease the pan
- In a mixing bowl, add the almond butter, coconut flour, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium until well combined.
- Stir in 1/2 cup of the dark chocolate chunks.
- Grease an 8x8 square baking dish with coconut oil.
- Then, spread the almond butter mixture evenly into the pan.
- Add the rest of the dark chocolate chocolate into a small saucepan.
- Heat the chocolate over low and continuously stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove from heat and pour over the almond butter.
- Sprinkle chopped almonds on top, if desired, and let the chocolate set in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Once the chocolate is completely solid, you can cut into bars and enjoy!
A few other things about this recipe:
- If you want perfectly cut square bars, you’re probably not going to get it. If you do somehow manage – well, you’re a wizard, Harry. That was not happening for me!
- The almond butter may separate a little from the chocolate while you’re cutting this recipe into bars. Not a big deal. You can easily press it back into place and let them harden up in the fridge again.
- I definitely recommend wrapping these bars up individually after cutting them and keeping them in a baggie or container in the fridge.
- If you want to make tinier portions, grease a mini muffin pan and make them like homemade almond butter cups instead!
Next time your craving for something sweet and chocolaty hits, make a batch of these No-Bake Dark Chocolate Chunk Almond Butter Bars! They’re pretty much guilt-free, have no added sugar, and taste just like an almond butter cup!
PIN FOR LATER