This one pan dish is a simple, but hearty skillet meal made with chicken, potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and flavorful seasonings.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
Most of the time when I cook, you will find pots and pans on every burner of the stove. My cutting board, knives, and a hand grater usually linger on the counter. And there are the occasional food splatters and spills.
The truth is, I cook just like my father. He makes one giant-sized mess in the kitchen while he cooks (sorry, Dad, but you do!). In the end it’s totally worth the mess when you take that first delicious bite of food.
Tonight, I made an early dinner and was pleasantly surprised by how fast the clean up was! Then again, I used only one pan to cook our meal. It was simple, yet delicious and most of the ingredients to make this dish could be found in the fridge at any time.
We have chicken at least once a week, but I was looking for a new way to use the boneless, skinless chicken breasts in our freezer. So I decided to break out our cast iron skillet and make an easy one pan meal. I’ve become quite a fan of cooking in cast iron. Why? It heats evenly and can be used to cook just about anything!
One of my favorite things to cook in cast iron is potatoes because they get so perfectly brown and crispy on the outside. So I knew I had to add them to this dish. I also had some bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms to use and added them in, too. A little seasoning of salt and pepper and Italian herbs brought this dish together along with an unexpected ingredient – lemon zest!
One Pan Chicken, Potato, Pepper, and Mushroom Skillet
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you could easily make this in a large pan. I added enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet and heated it over medium heat. Then, I added my potatoes and cooked them until they got nice and brown on the outside. Once I achieved that golden goodness, I removed them from the skillet and set them aside.
Then, I added the chicken to the skillet. Once cooked through, I removed the chicken to make room for the peppers, onion, garlic, and mushrooms. I cooked everything just until the mushrooms started to soften. Then, I added the potatoes and chicken back into the skillet.
I seasoned everything with Italian herbs, a pinch of crushed red pepper, and salt and pepper. The dish was finished with some lemon zest for some bright flavor and I served this skillet meal while it was still sizzling!
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 cups baby bella mushrooms, stems removed and sliced thin
- 1 tsp. Italian herbs
- 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: crushed red pepper flakes
- Add enough oil to cover the bottom of your skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes until they start to brown on the edges, stirring occasionally, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from skillet.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken about 8 minutes, just until cooked through and the chicken starts to brown. Remove from skillet.
- Add the garlic, onion, peppers, and mushrooms to the skillet. If needed, add a little more olive oil to the skillet. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Then, add the potatoes and chicken back into the skillet.
- Sprinkle the Italian herbs and a pinch of red pepper flakes into the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Zest lemon over skillet and give it one last stir.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
You’ve got to love making a dish that’s not only delicious, but doesn’t leave you with much to cleanup! This dish is easy for weeknights and makes a lot so you’ll have leftovers to share….or not!
Did you make this One Pan Chicken, Potato, Pepper, and Mushroom Skillet recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER