This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
These Sausage and Spinach Pizza Pinwheels are easily made with golden, flaky Puff Pastry dough! They’re loaded with Italian flavor and so much fun to eat!
I sat down to write this recipe a couple Fridays ago. These pizza pinwheels came together so easily that I thought I would breeze through this post. That was until my afternoon was shaken up by a phone call. My husband called to tell me he was on his way to the hospital. He didn’t give me many details to go on (and that drove me absolutely crazy). All he said he was something happened to his stomach.
So the totally rational woman that I am came up with at least 10 of the worst case scenarios that left me with pretty mean anxiety. Everything came to a screeching halt. When I finally got the call that he was leaving the ER, I was a little more relieved. Not completely, but I was just happy that my husband was on his way home. He had a bad case of abdominal pain. The doctors did a CT scan and nothing came up. So they gave him a painkiller and sent him home.
The only thing he could think of that caused such severe pain was his diet. So we’ll be making some changes like less sugar, more water, and low acidic foods.
Now you’re probably thinking, “Jess, these tasty looking pizza pinwheels are none of the above.” TRUE. But I made these before I knew that my husband’s stomach finally threw in the towel on his eating habits.
Plus, I’m pretty sure our Friday night pizza night isn’t going anywhere.
As for the rest of the days of the week, it’ll be grilled, baked, or roasted lean meats and veggies for us!
A delicious pizza inspired appetizer or snack!
But back to these pinwheels before my diet gets slightly more dry and boring! I wanted to make something quick and easy for pizza night, so I thawed out a sheet of Puff Pastry dough that I had in the freezer.
Puff Pastry is pretty magical. Isn’t it? A simple sheet of Puff Pastry dough can transform into flaky, golden brown goodness in under 20 minutes. The best part about it is that you can use it in both savory and sweet recipes! You can even turn it into pizza! Or at least bite-sized pizza pinwheels!
One of my favorite pizza toppings ever is sweet Italian sausage. It has such great flavor! I paired it with baby spinach (we always have at least one bag of baby spinach in the house) and some fresh garlic to make insanely delicious, little pizza pinwheels!
- 1 Puff Pastry sheet, thawed
- 3 sweet Italian sausage links, removed from casing
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-8 cups baby spinach
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend or mozzarella cheese
- 12 oz. can pizza sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a skillet, crumble and brown the sausage, about 8 minutes.
- Remove sausage and wipe the skillet.
- Head the olive oil in the skillet and add the garlic and baby spinach.
- Cook just until the spinach wilts and remove from heat.
- Unfold the Puff Pastry sheet and roll it out just a little bit thinner than its original size. Not too thin!
- Brush with sheet with egg and then begin layering the other ingredients.
- Start by spreading the garlic and spinach on top. Then, add the sausage and sprinkle the cheese on top. Finish with 1/4 cup of the pizza sauce, reserving the rest for dipping.
- Carefully roll up the pastry dough, starting with the shorter side.
- Chill in fridge for 10 minutes and then slice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Place evenly onto the baking sheets and brush again with egg.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Warm up the rest of the pizza sauce and serve.
These pizza pinwheels make an incredible appetizer, lunch, or snack! Since I didn’t get to share these with my husband (sorry, boo!), I threw the rest in the freezer so I can heat and eat them anytime I feel like having pizza!
PIN FOR LATER