Take zucchini parm up a notch with this Air Fryer Zucchini Parmesan Cakes recipe! It’s made with spiralized zucchini. Serve with fresh mozzarella, marinara, fresh herbs, and Parmesan cheese for a tasty summer dish or side!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
It’s that time of year again when my morning routine gets a small adjustment. Instead of making my breakfast, finishing my coffee, and getting to work, I’m now fitting “water the garden” into my list of things to do. But that’s not such a bad thing. It’s so nice to know that in a couple of months, we’ll have fresh vegetables to pick right outside our door again. I know I’ve said it before, but it really doesn’t get any better than that!
We already have a variety of fresh herbs growing and put plants in the ground a couple weekends ago. So now I’m anxiously awaiting the first signs of tomatoes, peppers, and green beans at our house. But I’m especially looking forward to getting zucchini from my in-law’s house this summer. That’s if those pain in the butt neighborhood squirrels leave them alone this year. Fat chance, I know, considering they’ve already weaseled their way into my flower pots.
So while I wait for our garden to flourish, I’ve been hitting up the farmer’s market more often than usual to get us ready for the summer. One of my favorite things to load up on is zucchini. We’ve grown them the size of baseball bats (or even bigger – not even kidding!) before. But the best ones to cook with are on the smaller size. Especially if you’re going to spiralize them! Plus, they’re pretty cheap and light in flavor, making them perfect to add to so many dishes!
Last week, I was looking to make something with one of the zucchinis I brought home. I rummaged through my fridge and found the remainder of some marinara sauce and a plethora of cheeses. Sure, I could have made zucchini parmesan, but opted for a recipe I’ve been wanting to try for years and never got around to it. So here we are with a recipe that not only uses a spiralizer, but an air fryer as well!
It’s simple enough, really. Just mix some zoodles in a bowl with other ingredients. Then, form them into patty-like cakes. Pop them in an air fryer for 15 minutes and you’re done! Well, maybe not. After that, I plated my zucchini cakes on top of fresh mozzarella. Then, I topped them with marinara, fresh parsley, and a little shaved Parmesan ’cause we fancy like that!
- 1 small zucchini, rinsed with ends cut off
- 2 tbsp. coconut flour, or flour of choice
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp. red onion, minced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 fresh mozzarella slices
- 1 cup marinara sauce, heated
- Optional: red pepper flakes, fresh parsley, shaved Parmesan
- Use a spaghetti cut blade to spiralize the small zucchini. Place zoodles into a large bowl.
- Add coconut flour, egg and toss to combine and coat zoodles.
- Mix in Parmesan cheese, garlic, oregano, basil, and onion.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Form the zoodle mixture into two cakes.
- Place in an air fryer and cook for 10 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Flip the zucchini cakes and cook for 5 more minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve on top of fresh mozzarella slices.
- Top with marinara sauce, red pepper flakes, parsley, shaved Parmesan, and enjoy!
Since these only serve two, we had these as a side dish with dinner. One for him, one for me. But they would make a great dish on their own – you know, if you don’t feel like sharing. They’re also vegetarian and gluten-free, so basically everyone wins!
PIN FOR LATER