If you love pulled pork, you’ll love this Slow Cooker Barbecue Pulled Chicken recipe inspired by the Lighten Up, Y’all cookbook.
While I might be something of an East Coast “city” girl, I do have a big appreciation for the South – boot scootin’ music, good ol’ country boys, wide open spaces and down home Southern cooking! All of that deep-fried home cooking is delicious, but not the healthiest. Especially when Summer’s just around the corner!
I recently added the Lighten Up, Y’all cookbook to my collection. This cookbook is filled with healthier takes on classic Southern recipes. Nothing makes me think of Southern cooking like barbecue! Naturally, the first recipe I made from this book was the “Slow-Cooked Barbecue Pulled Chicken.”
- - 1 - 14.5 oz. can no-salt added diced tomatoes
- - 1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
- - 2 tsbp. honey
- - 1 tbsp. smoked paprika
- - 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- - 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard (I used spicy brown mustard and omitted the red pepper flakes)
- - 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- - 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- - salt and pepper, to season
- Combine tomatoes, apple cider vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, soy sauce, mustard and red pepper flakes.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and add to slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for about 5 hours, or until chicken easily shreds.
I just so happen to have an extra copy of this cookbook for one lucky reader to enjoy! These Southern style recipes promise to be easy as well as delicious!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
This giveaway will run for two weeks and close on May 1st. Contest is open to US entrants only. Good luck!
This book was provided to me through Blogging for Books in exchange for this review. All opinions are my own. This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.