This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps to support this blog.
I recently experienced a major blast from the past while I was shopping at Michaels. I bought myself some Flash Charms that were on clearance for $1 and a couple sets of Perler Beads.
I remember making Perler Bead creations all the time with an old friend of mine back in elementary school. In fact, we were always crafting something when we got together. Perler Beads were pretty awesome back in the day and I’m kicking myself for not saving some of those creations!
Now, so many years later, I was really excited to find there were still so many Perler Bead kits available! I bought myself two Perler Bead kits. One included beads, ironing paper, and pegboards. The other was a set of bright and colorful beads.
Being that it’s junk food week this week for Maker’s Mix-Up, I decided to break out my Perler Beads and create a pizza-inspired necklace. When it comes to junk food, I can name a few favorites of mine, but I have one great love that tops them all. That’s pizza!
I fail to see the “junk” in a good pie as a pizza lover. Pizza contains dairy, fruits and vegetables, and depending on what you top it with, protein. See my logic? Okay, okay. I might be reaching here for a good excuse to consume pizza more often than I should. But you can’t take away my weekly pizza night! I won’t allow it!
This pizza necklace takes minutes to make and shows off your love of pizza without the added calories! This Perler Bead pizza is completely customizable. My favorite pizza toppings are veggies. So I made my Perler Bead pizza look like it was topped with black olives and peppers by adding green and black beads in between white beads.
- 8 – yellow, orange, or brown Perler Beads
- 7 – red Perler Beads
- 14 – white Perler Beads
- 4 – black Perler Beads
- 3 – green Perler Beads
- Round Perler Bead pegboard
- Ironing paper
- Gold chain
- Gold lobster clasp
- Gold jewelry bail
- Super glue
- Round pliers and/or flat nose pliers
- Preheat an iron to medium heat.
- While the iron is heating up, create your pizza design on a round pegboard. Use 8 yellow beads to make a pizza crust, 7 red beads to make sauce, white beads for cheese, and other color beads for toppings.
- Cover the design with ironing paper and iron beads in a circular motion until they’ve fused together.
- Allow beads to cool, then remove the ironing paper, and flip design over.
- Cover again with ironing paper and fuse the beads on the other side together.
- When design is completely cool, add a jewelry bail to one side using super glue.
- Wait for the glue to dry, then string chain through the loop on the jewelry bail.
- Cut chain to desired length. Then, add a gold jump ring to each end of the chain.
- Attach a lobster clasp closure set to the jump rings.
- Show the world your love of pizza by rocking your new necklace!
Did you make your own necklace inspired by this DIY? Share it with the hashtag #livinglavidadiy and tag me @lavidaholoka!