These Plant Based Smoked Chorizo Tostadas are made with flavorful crumbled plant based chorizo and a ton of colorful and crunchy toppings!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
It’s become a January tradition of mine to reevaluate what I’m putting into my body and once again include more meatless meals and a whole lot of veggies into my diet. It’s a nice way to reset after going hard on the indulgences over the holidays. Cheese, cookies, booze, turkey, ham, bacon – so much bacon! – you name it, I ate it!
So over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been stocking the house with meat alternatives, dairy-free products, whole grains, and trying to cut back on the sugar (so hard to do since it’s in everything). I’m willing to try just about anything in my search for healthier foods. So while I was looking for plant based proteins, I was able to add a package of Plant Based Smoked Chorizo to a recent Hungryroot delivery.
Ditching the meat doesn’t mean you have to ditch the flavor. There are so many meat alternatives out there to help you along with your meatless journey. I love Hungryroot for that reason! I’m constantly being introduced to new plant based proteins, like this chorizo.
When I opened the package, I was impressed right off the bat! There’s no mistaking the spices in this plant based chorizo. You can smell them right after you open the package. My mind was basically blown after sneaking a taste. You would not know that this was meatless! It’s sure to become a repeat item in my boxes!
Plant Based Smoked Chorizo Tostadas
The one thing I will say is that this isn’t as spicy as the ground chorizo sausage that I’m used to buying. But I’m okay with that because it’s still has a delicious flavor and you can always add the some heat later. I’ve made chorizo in a taco before, but this time I wanted to make a tostada.
Think of a tostada as an edible plate. A crispy corn tortilla is your “plate” that’s piled high with beans, veggies, cheese, and all sorts of toppings. Since I was using plant based chorizo, I decided to make this tostada 100 percent plant based using 100 percent Hungryroot ingredients.
The first thing I did was toast my tortillas. I did this by holding them over a low flame on my stovetop until they started to crisp up and get a char on them.
Before we start piling our tostada, we need to cook up that smoky plant based chorizo. Add a little olive oil to a skillet and heat it over medium heat. Then, add the chorizo, crumbling it up and cooking it just until it browns. Remove from the skillet.
Next, wipe out the skillet and add a little olive oil. Add the pepper strips and onions and cook just until both start to soften. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
Now wipe out the skillet one more time and add the refried beans. Heat them for a couple minutes and get to stacking the tostada! Start by spreading some beans on the tortilla.
Then, layer the tostada with the peppers and onions, chorizo, and a mix of veggies. Top with your favorite sauce or guac and eat up!
Turn Taco Tuesday into Tostada Tuesday!
Taco Tuesday? No man! Make it Tostada Tuesday this week! This tostada recipe has it all! Well, everything except the meat, but you won’t miss it! I promise!
- 6 white corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package Abbot's Butcher Plant-Based Smoked Chorizo
- 1 package Bell Pepper Onion Saute, or 3 cups bell pepper strips and sliced onions
- 1 cup refried beans
- Optional toppings: Rainbow Veggie Mix, Green Chile Sauce, Avocado Crema, or shredded lettuce, salsa, and guacamole
- Use tongs to toast each tortilla over a low flame. Toast just until crispy and the tortilla starts to char. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the plant based chorizo and cook for 6-8 minutes, or just until it starts to brown. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Wipe out the pan and add 1 tbsp. olive oil to the skillet. Add the peppers and onions, cooking for about 5 minutes, or until the peppers and onions soften. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet once more and add the refried beans. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until warmed through.
- Start layering the tostadas by spreading on a layer of beans. Then, follow with the plant based chorizo, and bell peppers and onions.
- Top with shredded veggies, your favorite hot sauce, salsa, avocado crema, or guacamole and serve!
Save 30% on your Hungryroot subscription + get a freebie for life!
Hungryroot is the easiest way for me to try new products and get fresh and healthy ingredients delivered to my home. If you want to try Hungryroot for yourself, use my code LAVIDA30 to score 30% off your first two deliveries + get a freebie for life! You can choose from a free veggie, cookie dough, or pasta for the length of your subscription!
Did you make this Plant Based Smoked Chorizo Tostadas recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER