This Pumpkin Vodka Sauce recipe has all of the flavor of traditional vodka sauce with a delicious addition of pumpkin puree and salty pancetta. It’s a perfectly cozy fall dinner!
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
This time of year, you probably have a can of pumpkin stored away in your kitchen. I’m pretty sure that can of pumpkin puree won’t be used in one shot either. So what do you do with the leftover pumpkin?
About a month ago, my husband asked if we could have Penne alla Vodka for dinner, unknowing how much dairy is actually in the sauce. Because of that, he’d be the only one eating it (and I usually make enough pasta to feed a crowd). So I asked him to choose another meal.
Lucky for my hubs, I’ve been reintroducing dairy back into my diet with success! Recently, he not only got his homemade vodka sauce, but he got it with a delicious fall twist!
Pumpkin Vodka Sauce with Pancetta
This creamy pumpkin vodka sauce is made with classic vodka sauce ingredients. But to add to those cozy, fall vibes, the sauce is also made with pumpkin puree and salty pancetta. Serve it with penne or pumpkin shaped pasta!
To start this sauce, we’re going to add olive oil to a large saucepan. Then, we’re going to add in chopped onion and pancetta and let that all cook for about 4 minutes, or until the pancetta is nice and crispy. Once that’s done, add garlic and cook until fragrant.
Now, we’re going to stir in the tomatoes, pumpkin puree, and vodka (save a sip for the chef!) and bring the sauce to a simmer. Let the sauce cook for 30 minutes to give the alcohol time to burn off.
Reduce the heat to low and gradually stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the sauce is nice and creamy.
While the sauce is cooking, prepare your pasta. When the pasta is ready, add it to the sauce and stir to incorporate.
Now we’re ready to serve! Serve this dish with red pepper flakes, extra Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil leaves on top.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 oz. diced pancetta
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 - 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup vodka
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pound pasta, cooked
- Optional: red pepper flakes, Parmesan cheese, fresh basil leaves for serving
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and pancetta and cook for about 4 minutes, or until the pancetta is crispy.
- Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes, pumpkin puree, and vodka and bring the sauce to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and gradually stir in the heavy cream and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until the sauce is creamy.
- While the sauce is cooking prepare your pasta according to package.
- Once the pasta is cooked, add the pasta (plus a little pasta water) to the sauce and stir to incorporate.
- Serve with red pepper flakes, extra Parmesan cheese, and fresh basil leaves on top, if desired.
This gorgeous dish isn’t just a great way to use up extra pumpkin puree. When it’s cold outside, it makes a cozy and delicious meal for a romantic date night in, too!
Did you make this Pumpkin Vodka Sauce with Pancetta recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER