I received product from I Love Ice Cream Cakes in exchange for my honest opinion. No other compensation has been received for this post.
My husband and I have a Saturday night ritual of watching Animal Planet and Nat Geo Wild. Call us geeks – it’s just our thing. Ever since I was a kid, I’ve loved science and learning about animals. So it’s no surprise that we’ll be watching Shark Week starting July 23rd! Some of the shows are a little over-the-top, but most of them are pretty interesting to watch!
Last year, I shared a DIY Shark Infested Gel Candle to celebrate Shark Week. This year, I decided to celebrate Shark Week alongside National Ice Cream Month! I mean, seriously – what’s better than sitting down to a TV marathon with a bowl full of ice cream? Nothing! Except when it’s ice cream cake loaded with gummy sharks and starfish!
I Love Ice Cream Cakes come in so many varieties and sizes that I was able to find the perfect size to share with my husband. The round Carvel® Lil’ Love Ice Cream Cake is 25 ounces and serves up to 6. It’s made of layers of classic chocolate and vanilla ice cream with chocolate crunchies and whipped icing.
The cake I bought was simple. It had white icing with a blue icing trim and rainbow sprinkles. I added a few touches for Shark Week using gummy sharks, gummy starfish, graham cracker crumbs for “sand,” and red edible glitter for “blood.” It wouldn’t be Shark Week without a little feeding frenzy!
My vision for this cake was photos you see of swarms of sharks circling down in the ocean. So I stuck toothpicks in a couple of shark gummies to elevate them from the rest of the cake. If you look down on the cake, it looks like you’re looking down on sharks circling their prey. The final touch was adding sharks around the base of the cake for the same, similar effect.
- Carvel® Lil’ Love Ice Cream Cake 25 oz
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Blue gummy sharks
- Gummy starfish
- Red edible sparkles
- Carefully remove cake from box.
- Sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons of graham cracker crumbs around the inner edge of the blue icing.
- Add four or more starfish gummies around the blue icing.
- Next, stick toothpicks into a couple blue shark gummies.
- Insert the toothpicks into the cake to elevate sharks.
- Add more gummy sharks to the cake surface and around the bottom of the cake.
- Finally, sprinkle edible red sparkles (or “blood”) onto the surface and sides of the cake.
- If not serving immediately, decorate cake without the sharks toothpicks. Insert the toothpicks right before serving and enjoy!
It’s easy to make any day of the week a celebration with I Love Ice Cream Cakes! Especially since there are so many types of cakes to choose from like original Carvel®, Jon Donaire® and OREO®! If you’ll be watching Shark Week, this cake is a great excuse to turn it into a sharktastic celebration!
PIN FOR LATER