These Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteaks are easy to make with chicken breasts, bell peppers, onions, a simple Buffalo seasoned sauce, and shredded cheese.
This post may contain affiliate links. Making a purchase through one of these links helps support this blog.
One of our favorite easy meals to eat during the fall is cheesesteaks. I especially enjoy chicken cheesesteaks! They’re leaner than beef cheesesteaks and more versatile when it comes to seasonings. And one of the easiest ways to make chicken cheesesteaks is in the slow cooker.
With the lazy days of summer soon coming to an end and busier days returning, these chicken cheesesteaks are an easy meal with little prep involved. Simply throw all of the ingredients in a slow cooker and cook! Then, serve the cheesesteaks with or without the sandwich roll.
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts make up these cheesesteaks. They’re cooked with garlic, bell peppers, and onions in a broth based Buffalo flavored sauce.
If you’re not a fan of spicy food, there’s such a small amount of Buffalo sauce in this dish that it will probably go unnoticed. It’s mainly there for flavoring so either use a smaller amount or omit it from the recipe.
Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteaks
Cooking the chicken in the slow cooker allows it to shred easily, making it perfect for cheesesteaks. Before serving, the chicken, peppers, and onions are topped with shredded cheese. Then, you can serve it right in the slow cooker and spoon it onto your favorite rolls!
First, we need to place the chicken into the slow cooker. Season it with salt and pepper and then sprinkle chopped garlic on top.
Next, mix up a quick sauce with Buffalo sauce, chicken (or vegetable) broth, and oregano. Pour it over the chicken.
Add the sliced onions and peppers on top of the chicken. Then, cover and cook on high for 3 hours.
After three hours, use a fork or tongs to shred the chicken. Cover the slow cooker once again and cook on low for one more hour.
Before serving, sprinkle shredded cheese on top. I like a mix of shredded cheddar and Swiss. Mozzarella works well, too.
Cover the slow cooker and allow the cheese to melt completely.
Then, spoon the chicken onto rolls and serve with your favorite cheesesteak condiments.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-2 tsps. Buffalo sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2/3 cups red onion, sliced
- 1 generous cup green bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheese, like cheddar, Swiss, or a mix
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and place in slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chopped garlic over chicken.
- In a small bowl, mix Buffalo sauce, broth, and oregano. Pour over chicken.
- Next, add onions and peppers on top of chicken. Then, cover and cook on high 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, use a fork or tongs to shred the chicken. Cover and cook on low 1 more hour.
- Before serving, sprinkle cheese on top and cover until cheese melts.
- Spoon cheesesteak mixture onto rolls to serve.
While spooning the chicken onto rolls, make sure to let any excess sauce drip off to avoid a soggy sandwich. While we find that these cheesesteaks are pretty filling on their own, you could also serve them with fries, chips, or a salad on the side.
Did you make this Slow Cooker Chicken Cheesesteaks recipe? Share it on social media using the hashtag #livinglavidaeats. Don’t forget to tag me @lavidaholoka!
PIN FOR LATER